This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Gman, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Gman

Gman New Member

Local Time:
    10:13 AM
    Hello everyone. I am Tim and new to the hobby. I got my first tank Aug 2018.
    29 gal
    Planted with:
    Water wysteria about 15 stem
    3 small Crypto wendtii brown
    3 to 4 java fern
    3 to 4 hygrophilia I believe red stem green leaves.
    8 guppies with fry
    2 dwarf catfish
    Couple shrimp amano/orange
    5 Mystery snail
    4 Nerite/1 horned
    Malaysian snails many of them
    Subrate flurite sand mixture.
    My tap water runs:
    7.4 pH
    8 drop GH
    4 drop KH
    I have recently added 8 flourish tabs, also started flourish comp 2.4 ml and trace 1 1/2 cap full , alternating days. Plants were showing some nutrient deficiencies. It has been about 2 weeks now. Plants showing growth. I used the calculator on this site and it seemed to be high and I was worried about my snails.

I run a finnex planted plus on max for 8 hours sometimes longer pending when I get home.
    I am having BBA issues assuming due to nutrient imbalance. I do 50 % water changes 1 to 2 times a week, trim up BBA on the bad leaves.
    Also noticed my pH drops to about 6.8 and seeing snail shell erosion so to try to maintain pH 7 to 7.2 I add seachem neutral regulator and alkaline buffer.
    I check all parameters with freshwater api kit and Gh/Kh but not calcium yet, I might now since snail shell erosion.
    Would anyone be able to advise me. Thanks,Tim.

Tim Harrison likes this.
  2. Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    3:13 PM
    Welcome :)
    It might help to reduce you lighting period to 6hrs, and probably the light intensity as well. Maintaining a constant photoperiod day in day out is also important. It's often inconsistencies that favour algae over the plants you're trying to grow. For instance, most folk have their lighting on a timer; same length of photoperiod, same time every day.
    I wouldn't bother playing with your water parameters. Most hobby grade test kits are notoriously inaccurate and usually a complete waste of money. If you're worried about your snails just stick some limestone rocks in your tank or feed them with a food supplement that contains calcium.
    It's far more important to concentrate on good housekeeping, good and consistant CO2 flow and distribution (if you inject that is), and a consistant fertz dosing regime. Take a look at Articles section in particular this

3. Gman

Gman New Member

Local Time:
    10:13 AM
    Thanks that really helps, I was chasing parameters only because of my snails otherwise everything else seemed fine. Setting up co2 soon. When using the calculator recommended 6.9 ml flourish comp 2 to 4 times weekly and trace of 129 ml 2 to 4 times weekly. That seems awful high for trace or am I wrong in thinking so?

Tags: