This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

New member Tony

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by TonyKalee, Oct 24, 2017.

1. TonyKalee

TonyKalee New Member

Local Time:
    4:17 AM
    Hi I’m Tony in Perth, Australia.

I have a 200litre planted tank with CO2 setup.

This is my first post; I’m not sure if the “New Thread” method is the correct one just to introduce myself, but hello anyway.

Christophe likes this.
  2. Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    9:17 PM
    Hello Tony, it'd be great to see a pic of your tank :)

3. Phishless

Phishless Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    4:17 PM
    Welcome!

Pics would be awesome!
    Anything wonderful from a plant perspective in Australia that you are growing.
    Local native plants we have not seen maybe???

4. TonyKalee

TonyKalee New Member

Local Time:
    4:17 AM
    Hello Tony again. I’ve included 2 pics of my tank and I’d like to ask a question please.

The tank is 6 years old, I started with an Eheim canister filter; Vertex Illumilux Dolce Bianco light, and CO2 [Tunze 7077 controller and solenoid] plus gravel bottom.

It took a while for me to get everything to work well – I had cyanobacteria a bit. In the end, I went with an ADA setup – ADA Super Jet Filter ES-600, and ADA substrate; and a SERA inline CO2 reactor

After I set up the ADA system in 2015, I never had any more problems – the ph stayed where I set it at 6.9. The plants looked nice.

BUT...

In September 2017 I went on holiday for 4 weeks. I arranged for trustworthy friends to feed the fish and top up the water every week. I got the CO2 bottle filled too – it usually lasts a few months.

During my holiday my friends called me and said that after one week, they had arrived at my house to find the filter not pumping any water – it was just making a nasty sounding noise; and they couldn’t see any fish; [there must have been air in it]. They managed to get it restarted pumping water.

Towards the end of the 4 weeks they found the same thing so they just switched it off.

When I got back from holiday all the fish were dead and the CO2 bottle was completely empty.

So my question is does anyone have any idea why this could happen? The water level in the tank could never have gone down so much that the filter inlet would be exposed to air. And after I set everything up again when I came back, there was no indication of any air leak in the tubing.

Also, why would the CO2 bottle be completely empty – one possibility is a failed needle valve, yet now that I have set it all up again, it shows no sign of emptying itself faster that it normally did before I went away, and if the needle valve wasn’t working, wouldn’t that let too much CO2 into the tank, which would lower the PH too much – which isn’t happening [see below].

Furthermore, there does seem to be one issue with the CO2 – even though I recalibrated the probe, and reset the controller to maintain a PH of 6.9, the PH level will not go down to 6.9; it stays at 6.99 or even goes up to 7.10. Yet the solenoid is on and the CO2 bubbles are at 3 per sec.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

Tony

IMG_2702.JPG

IMG_2703.JPG

Phishless likes this.
  5. Pikez

Pikez Rotala Killer!
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    9:17 PM
    CO2 gremlins always seem to act up when on vacation or holiday. That is to be expected. There probably was a leak or malfunction of some sort.

I'd strongly urge you to consider taking the pH controller off line. ADA systems with aquasoil should not be mated with pH controllers because the aquasoil reduces KH a little every day and that means you are dosing differing levels of CO2 every day. It is completely unreliable. Go manual with 4 or 5 bps. And watch the pH. Use the probe just as a static pH meter. I cannot emphasize this enough.

Given that your tank is mostly Anubias, you won't need that much CO2. They are not aggressive consumers of CO2. So, start with a thorough clean up - gravel, filter, leaves, etc. It is a lot of work. But needs to be done.

Also consider lowering light. May be a blackout for 3 days, add some bristle nose plecos. More Amano shrimp.