New Manzanita scape

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
90 days later

Hi all,

A few quick pics and hopefully a little video link in a bit...upload 70% complete lol

Video is here I hope: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkU_vM7KBW8 seems slow and blurry but is much better than is showing????

Blyxa has gone nuts and is threatening world domination lol I will trim heavily in a week or so...It has completely filled in the back and is very thick...

Stauro is still not as nice as Tom's and others. Have staggered melting so that it moves/recovers from one spot to the next... does well for a while then melts. Moves somewhere else....

Bolbitus also is not doing well but I trimmed it down to only a few new shoots and placed it in some nice flow as it was getting blocked before....

I think the stems are not long for the tank....I get tired of trimming them..but is the ONLY thing I trim really. The wendti in the back just gets thicker as does the needle java...

The moss is taking off well and the anubias are starting to grow new leaves steadily and flower regularly, always good signs.

I have not trimmed the stauro yet due to the melting issue (wanted to make sure I had nice tops) but think the melting will soon be over and I can trim a little patch and see how that goes...

I think some more bolbitus and anubias....the branches really got dark and you can see some bba and other algae (hair, clado) growing here and there, but not too bad IMO...

Still working on c02 and have a Rio 1000 to do a needle wheel mod on and see how that works....Maybe replace the mazzei for awhile and compare.....Or run WITH the mazzei :)

Appreciate any comments and suggestions....Still need a background.

I do like the way it looks however and will be adding the lambchops soon.....

Big difference in 90 days....I am VERY pleased with it and have gotten some very nice comments and compliments on it. Thanks again to all who continue to help me learn and grow...no pun intended...

View attachment 1477View attachment 1476View attachment 1475

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Hack the Blyxa back more and keep it that way.
It'll beat up on everything else.

The Rio 1000 with needle wheel mod should do the trick.

Some nice stems in each corner would be good, alternatively, a pile of wood and Anubias, Ferns etc, moss etc.......could be made to fill the gap. Rock as well, but Rock is less "useful" and hard to build up in larger tanks like this without more/too much work.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi all,

Hack the Blyxa back more and keep it that way.
It'll beat up on everything else. Regards,
Tom Barr

I see what you mean:) Here are a few pics of the Blyxa that I removed from the tank just now. You can't really tell from the compressed stack pictures, but I have at least two dozen large plants like the one I am holding in the water column. There was just more and more and more of it the more I pulled it out!!! The weight of it is considerable...

Still have a ton left!!! If anyone wants any......have a ton for the LFS anyway...

I knew it was pretty thick in there but had no real idea... wow...

You can somewhat see the amount of space that was freed up in the tank esp in the front right and around the stauro. much more room for that to spread now....but the water is cloudy from the weeding...

View attachment 1482View attachment 1481View attachment 1484View attachment 1483

The Rio 1000 with needle wheel mod should do the trick.

Yes, will try in the next week or so....

Some nice stems in each corner would be good, alternatively, a pile of wood and Anubias, Ferns etc, moss etc.......could be made to fill the gap. Regards,
Tom Barr

Exactly what I wanted to suggest. regards,
dutchy

I agree with you both :) The left side will get some more anubias among the branches (it is there but hidden now) and maybe some bolbitus...it will eventually fill the gaps, you will see...eventually lol

The right side was supposed to be bolbitus mostly as I wanted the fish to swim behind it and the corner be open a bit for swimming as they come around the corner so to speak....but since it is not doing well there I will consider some stems until I get it right :)

I know that P. Stellata broadleaf was suggested by Dutchy.

I have a lot of green and would like a different shade for contrast. I was thinking Ludwigia glandulosa or similar (with the broad leaf and the reddish/brown colors). They seem to do well for me and color up very nicely.

Something also to contrast with all of the Blyxa in front of it...

Are you suggesting to keep the stems tall and cover the corner or most of it?

I have some L. Aromatica over there now, it just got chopped so is not as visible. Is usually taller/thicker. I also have some nice rotala that Tom sent over and is starting to do well..However that is a long needle leaf variety and is quite similar to the Blyxa so it gets lost a bit...

Thoughts? Please keep them coming....

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Ludwigia glandulosa or similar
I like this plant since it's slower growing, has awesome color, easy to care for and makes nice dramatic large groups rarely seen.
I like R wallichii also, a bit more weedy.

I have more wood I'll be collecting if you need more, it's as nice if not nicer that what you have.
You can make a mass of wood for epiphytic species to grow on to make the mounds, or go with slower growing stems to make them.
Rotala sp "Green" actually trimmed like you would the hedge would also be good and would only need trimming once a month with some good sized scissors

rotlalacut102107.jpg

Then a week or two later:

Rotlala102107.jpg

No one plants each stem to get this precise height grouping BTW!!!

Regards,
Tom Barr

dutchy

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Jul 6, 2009
The Netherlands
Gerryd;52241 said:
Are you suggesting to keep the stems tall and cover the corner or most of it?

Exactly. I like the tank, has a lot of potential. But the corners are too empty now. Personally I like to put light coloured plants in the back and put a nice red one in front of them. That creates a lot of contrast. The L. Glandulosa in a good option, I have it too, it's in front of L. Aromatica and Giant Hygro's.

The Blyxa is a real weed, I trimmed it like 6 weeks ago, took out 2 gallons(!) of plants, now I have to do it again.

Just some info I wanted to share: 3 weeks ago I took back my lights from 90 micromol to 60 micromol at the substrate. At the same time I tweaked my CO2 again, which made me drop 0,1 pH. Differences:
No stunting on A. Rosaefolia
Better growth on Stauro, leaves get bigger than before
Giant Hygro's are doing better, look cleaner
GDA is totally gone.

Lot of benefits for using less light. I can't even find one thread of algae. :)

regards,
dutchy

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi all,

This past Friday I installed a Rio 1000 DIY needle wheel..

Details can be found in this thread starting at #6...

http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/7392-Most-efficient-DIY-needle-wheel

Pros:

1. Use MUCH less c02.
2. Pearling is just as good with using the mazzei and more c02.
3. More flow to canister legs and tank with the mazzei leg shut off.
4. More flow in the tank with the Rio in use and from not powering the mazzei.
5. Mist seems finer and harder to see close up than the mazzei did.
6. EZ visual on the bubble rate due to how it is mounted underneath the Rio. The c02 simply gravitates upward into the intake..

Cons:

1. Having the rio in the tank. The mazzei is all hidden.

I like it so far, just need to hide it behind something and arrange the flow more optimally...

I built up the left side a little using some regular Java Fern to fill the gap and am ordering a few stems to grow and audition for the right side :)

I will post a pic later...

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi all,

No one plants each stem to get this precise height grouping BTW!!!

What!!! you mean all of the measuring, cutting, and rearranging them to get them the same length and planting them at the same depth so they have the same height is NOT how this is done???? I have spending hours a week changing them for nothing? ahhhhhhh! LOL Just kidding...

This method works well on many but not all stems. I do the same as you did above for my L. aromatica and 7-10 days later you would never know it....

Well I realized today that tomorrow will be six full weeks in quarantine for my lambchop rasboras....I think they are ready for the 180 along with the last dozen cardinals that have been quarantined for over 4 months lol

So, will transfer them along with the cards over the weekend and grab some pics afterwards I hope.

They look good and are pretty active and attractive in the 45 so am looking forward to them doing the 6' length instead of 2.5' :) I am sure they would be too if they only knew....I don't yet speak rasbora :)

The Rio 1000 mod is really working well so far...I just have to hide it better but like it out now so I can easily monitor...

I have some new stems and such coming....some more anubias, some mosses, and a few red or reddish stems to contrast with all the greens I have...more bolbitus I hope...P. stellata, some ludwidgia and rotalas, etc. A few things that I can try and see how they may look..they had no glandulosa but I got the pereunsis and the oval and broad leaf varieties....so something will stick I am sure...have always had good fortune with MOST rotalas and ludwigias.

I want to replace the narrow java on the left side wood with something shorter so the C. Wendti behind it can be seen. It is lost now behind the java and the wood. It is really nice and thick but is lost in the back...I have java windelov in the same corner at the end of the tank that I can use as it is much shorter...but I think I may lay down some nice anubias in front of the wendti among the wood....hmmmm....that will grow in nicely and not need much care....wood will keep it shaded as well....

I really like the wood placement but not happy with how all of the plants are coming together....I like a lot of it but some changes are needed I think... Nothing big, but some experimentation may be just the ticket!

I hacked the c**p out of the Blyxa and really reclaimed a lot of space. I am sure that also affects the positive c02 results I see with the rio mod....my stauro melt is almost all gone and the new growth is coming in well. Hopefully another few weeks and it will get it's first overall trim! I have clipped a few larger stems here and there but have been hesitant to mow it while it has been regenerating....

I am very happy with this new scape so far....much easier to maintain except for the blyxa lol

All comments and suggestions are welcome....

I will post later I hope on any progress.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
That is the only trade off with the needel wheel, but it is a really good mist and we need extra flow anyway etc, a simple intake tube/loop going to the return line could be done to get it out of the tank, but then you need a nice external pump also.
A small modified canister might work.
Should be a simple way to do it, just have not thought or look around enough.

Still, I can hide a powerhead in most aquariums.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi all,

Still, I can hide a powerhead in most aquariums. Regards,
Tom Barr

Yes, I can hide this one too I am sure. It is the only drawback really to the needle wheel as you note.. I like it a lot...

Dutchy, glad the lower light is working for you....no algae and great growth sound great! Pics please!

So I trimmed up the moss some and placed some anubias on the right side wood...

Here are a few pics with video to come.....

I will add the rasboras this weekend and hopefully my new plant order will come in next week sometime...

I need a reddish stem in there somewhere.....

Thoughts and suggestions are always welcome......

View attachment 1492View attachment 1490View attachment 1489View attachment 1491View attachment 1488

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I'd chose more Anubias for the wood and less moss.

I packed up a nice box of manzy, there are a few real nice pieces, one nice center piece as well.
I'll ship tomorrow or Friday. I got as much as I could fit into the box.

You'll have plenty to mess with.

Regards,
Tom Barr

dutchy

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Jul 6, 2009
The Netherlands
Hi Gerry,

Your tank is starting to look better and better now the Blyxa and Stauro are growing in really nice. I especially like the last pic. Could you try to hide the hardware a little so it just protrudes into the water? Do you really need it like that? Mine are just on the sides of the tank, One is exiting into the MP40's path of flow. I don"t have any issues.

A reddish stem? Depends on how big. Rotala Macandra maybe? You could do something with that plant totally on the right midground.
The Blyxa in the middle has some high stems with no leaves, maybe you could shorten these a little bit. (not criticizing, just meant positive ;)

Overall? great tank. Every time I see pics it look better and better.

I will post some pics later but my layout hasn't changed. The only thing you could notice is the development of the plants. Some are turning into real weeds now, but I'm a bit hasitant to trim. Mostly it doens't get prettier afterwards :) The manzy wood is still soaking, haven't found time to do something with it yet. Maybe today.

Regards,
dutchy

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi all,

Here is a latest video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl42twbxqWM

Tom,

More anubias has been ordered......I used what I had lol

Moss is being trimmed and replaced with anubias as I have it....

I will send some Paypal $ to cover wood and shipping. Let me know if you need more $...

Dutchy,

Thanks for the compliments....

You are correct on the blyxa stems...I will trim and replant those higher stems...these were hidden by the dense growth and is visible now that I hacked it back! Interesting to note the growth patterns of this plant..

Not sure what you mean by the hardware?? The rio will be hidden later, but is out now so I can monitor the c02 and ensure all is well with the c02 changes....The vortech is not so bad...

I love the look of your tank and the vibrant growth, so please post a pic!

TheKillHaa

Prolific Poster
Oct 31, 2007
very nice tank, big tanks are more complivated imo. There is chance to play more with the depth, but is a pleasure to the eyes with schooling fishes, manzanita and well choosed plants, congrats!

dutchy

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Jul 6, 2009
The Netherlands
Hi Gerry,

I was pointing to the 4 black flextubes (can't recall their name though) I made some pics, and will post them.

regards,
dutchy

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Ahhh you mean the loc-line.....

It used to have 3 on each side :)

I have been covering with moss etc to see what works......

They are more in the water to direct the flow onto certain locations....so I get more control this way.

The left side is actually holding one of the branches in place :)

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
You do not need to have the loc line that far into the water, just barely enough into the water to prevent degassing.
Box of wood went out this morning.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Could you try to hide the hardware a little so it just protrudes into the water? Do you really need it like that? Regards dutchy

You do not need to have the loc line that far into the water, just barely enough into the water to prevent degassing. Regards, Tom Barr

Okay, okay I moved them already :)

I also 'fixed' the Blyxa and of course removed more of it.. I really need to keep a better eye on this plant as it grows very quickly and quite thick..

Box of wood went out this morning. Regards, Tom Barr

Can't wait to see it. UPS?

Thanks to all for the compliments and the encouragement.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Fed Ex, should see it on the tracking email info.

Do not be afraid to trim a flat spot to make mounting and positioning easier for the pieces, adding a small piece of slate etc to make the position more stable etc.

A drill, with a ceramic bit will work well for slate and some SS screws etc.

This gives a nice base to keep the wood stable.
It is not for keeping the wood sunk etc, just to hold in place.

Regards
Tom Barr