New Manzanita scape

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
I remember that pic AND the orientation and did that in my 45 with a 'root' or two :)

The 'specimen' branches that draw the eye IMO look better horizontal in nature, like they rolled to the bottom and got stuck over time...kinda what I am looking for anyway..

I can use the 'root' orientation for the corners or sides... cover with some large anubias barteri which has very large leaves and it will cover it up quickly...

Some nice thoughts are being generated by the 'root' orientation...

Nice thing is I have a TON of wood...stuff left from the first batch, plus stuff in the 45 I could swap out....

Endless possibilities...

Thanks to both of you!!!

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Gerryd;53616 said:
Tom,

Good point.

Manzy (at least for me) is hard to tell if it was a root structure sub-soil or a branch structure above ground..

All my pieces seem to be 'branches' as opposed to roots.

Am I incorrect in that? Since you collected it you may be able to tell :)

Manzy roots float:)
Soft and sponge like since there's no need to resist fire
Burls are where the new growth comes out from.

So they are always branches.

Regards,
Tom Barr

C

CL_

Tom Barr;53676 said:
Manzy roots float:)
Soft and sponge like since there's no need to resist fire
Burls are where the new growth comes out from.

So they are always branches.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Speaking of which, a couple of the pieces I got from you had char marks on them where they had burned a little. So cool :) This is authentic stuff.
No idea how you were able to fit all of the wood I got into the box this time (or the last time- I tried to repack it out of curiosity. No luck haha)

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hey all,

A few pics of two nice branches Tom sent over.

They took about 36 hours to sink...

Already starting to darken.

You can see in the third where I put the two branches together and it looks nice like it was always like that...So combining branches is always a good option..

I think these two pieces will make the new scape..

View attachment 1579View attachment 1580View attachment 1581

Last edited by a moderator:

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
No. They would stay as they are... just sprouting from the stauro...

Some of the sections would get anubias, but honestly, the wood is too nice not to show it off.

The biggest temptation IMO will be to keep from overstuffing it :) I have a dozen more branches like these plus 2 or 3 larger centerpieces...

I really like the bare wood against the green stauro.....

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
So.....a quick update.

I removed a lot more Blyxa and I replaced it with some stauro that I trimmed......

Still can't really tell I removed 50-60 stauro.....You really need to watch this stuff as it gets THICK. Very easy to start losing leaves buried under other plants.....Spreads very quickly and responds well to trimming....Can get tall as well based on placement....

I also added two small pieces of manzy wood on the left side....I want to play with different orientations...I used a zip tie to keep them together....

It may not 'go' in that location and orientation, but again it is just to see how it 'looks' hanging into the water as a 'root'..and that corner was available :)

I may remove the MP20 soon as it seems to be too much for my cards....we will see though..nice it is adjustable...

Here is a pic or two and a vid...water was just changed and NC cartridge swapped so is a bit cloudy...

Trying to picture a discus school in this scape and not sure they really go???

Thoughts as always are appreciated...

View attachment 1622View attachment 1621View attachment 1620View attachment 1619

C

csmith

I really like how you've placed the wood to where it blocks out the tubing/inlets in the back, yet made it look so natural in placement and unintentional. Soon you'll have your own stauro farm. :D

Where's the video?

C

csmith

I hope it isn't ominous, but the next suggested clip after yours is a trailer for the movie 2012. Just saying.. :rolleyes:

Tank looks awesome, Gerry. What's that plant you have attached to the pipes at the surface? Has this tank been that algae free the whole time, or was it a side effect of raising the lights again? You have so many slow growers, it made me curious.

Last edited:

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi,

Tank looks awesome, Gerry.

Thanks for the compliment...

What's that plant you have attached to the pipes at the surface?

It is plain old Riccia. Tom and Dutchy nagged me mercilessly (well, only once each, but still :)) to lift the returns higher and out of the water. This coupled with the 1-2 outlet split made a perfect resting place for it. Grows and spreads from there... very nice as it gets plenty of c02 from being on the surface...creates large mats that I can simply pull off to trim. Spreads quickly up there :)

Plus, it also reduces light for the anubias, wendti, and java underneath them!

When viewed from above the outlets are not visible. Only slightly visible under water as well. You see the riccia mat and little else...Just need a frog for a lilly pad effect lol

Has this tank been that algae free the whole time, or was it a side effect of raising the lights again? You have so many slow growers, it made me curious.

Had some issues (going away) with BBA and some clado, but I can deal. Much less now with less light:)

Only 'slow' growers are the wendti and the anubias. The anubias grows a new leaf every 3-4 days which is plenty.

The stauro and blyxa are NOT slow growers lol

However, I spend very little time trimming anymore. Mostly doing the 'lawn' of stauro and replacing the blyxa with trimmed stauro..

Very pleased with how it is working out. I like the look, easy to care for, healthy stock, clean water, etc.

Going so far according to plan..

Need to work in the new wood from Tom and get some more fish.....still braining on discus or not...

I think it is also time to remove some of the many sunset platies that develop like magic lol They school a lot with the rasboras and since a similar color, from a few feet away, looks like one large school...However, I can leave one single gravid female and be in the same boat in 3 months... wish the cards bred like that!

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi ibanezfrelon,

beautiful tank!

many thanks!

those branches are out of this world , amazing

Those are all from Tom's collection :) The new left corner piece is actually two separate branches together for a nice effect...

Here is the specimen piece I am 'struggling' with now.. appreciate any votes for pic #1, 2, etc lol

I tried to use some various orientations to give you an idea of how nice this is. The back wall works nicely as a template for placement in the tank including corners...

Honestly, it looks really nice in almost ANY position and you notice details that were hidden before..so these are just to show how nice it is...

Enjoy!

View attachment 1648View attachment 1649View attachment 1650View attachment 1651View attachment 1652

I keep it outside between soakings/positionings as my two cats find this piece and manzy in general to be the world's greatest scratching posts Lol

BTW, here is a quick vid from my couch potato position :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS_1TdSYinI

P.S. Non sequitir: has anyone ever seen the Allman Brothers live circa 1971?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Snip and trim it to fit
It's just wood.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Ekrindul

Guru Class Expert
Jul 9, 2010
Euless, TX
P.S. Non sequitir: has anyone ever seen the Allman Brothers live circa 1971?

I wasn't born until '72, so I can't have seen them. There's At Filmore East and Mountain Jam from Eat a Peach though. Brothers of the Road tour was filmed and is really good.

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi,

I wasn't born until '72, so I can't have seen them. There's At Filmore East and Mountain Jam from Eat a Peach though. Brothers of the Road tour was filmed and is really good.

Yes, I have all of that and I was born long before '72. Just never saw them in their PRIME with Duane and Berry. Have seen them plenty of other times.

It was live at fillmore east that I was listening to that drove the question:)