New Manzanita scape

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
You people really crack me up sometimes :)

Many thanks for the encouragement and compliments......

So,

Better my photography skills are lacking as opposed to lacking the skills to keep the tank in the first place lol

Thanks for the link. I will check it out later.......

I do love hatchets though, and think a school of 50-75 of a marbled species would be awesome.....

I also remember the sound of fish hitting the top.

I also remember saving some of my bigger congos when I had them. You would hear them banging around inside the cabinet.. well sometimes anyway...

It is how I lost my nice school of SAE when they got bigger. Once every 7-10 days another would go over the wall.....were they sending individuals search parties or something after the last one that went over the wall? Were they close to the last one that jumped? Was it a loved one? I never knew or understood...

Last edited by a moderator:

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi all,

A couple weeks later....

Starting to fill in and come into focus a bit...Blyxa is a weed! Stauro 049 is starting to look good and fill in with some new additions from Tom..

Have a small section that melted, but is already coming back...

I will replace the aromatica in the back with the stellata on the right at some point...

I added some anubias to some brances and the moss is also spreading.....

BTW, I have 90 T.espei on the way for my second school...aka the lambchop rasbora...very like the harlequin maybe a bit more colorful and elongated in shape..quarantine for awhile and I can judge at that time how they may look in the 180...

The mult pics are simply slightly angling the camera angle..go darker/lighter was kind of fun...I can make it look pretty dark by angling the camera down...much darker than you see here.

Comments are welcome.

View attachment 1411View attachment 1412View attachment 1413

dutchy

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Jul 6, 2009
The Netherlands
Looks good Gerry. I can see some simularities in the Blyxa/Stauro group with my tank :) In 6 to 8 weeks it will be just as dense like mine. If you're going to put Stellata in the background, maybe it's a good idea to use the broadleaf version. It's more robust and doesn't stunt that fast. Colour is a bit lighter than the fine leaf version, that's good for contrast in the background.

I like the Manzanita. Impossible to get that here.

Regards,
dutchy.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I just collected a nice batch of wood, and I finally found the mother lode, an endless supply.
Easy to collect it and all nice super dense alpine wood(6000-7000Ft rocky hard soil + old fire burn site from 20 years ago).

Manzy1.jpg

Manzy3.jpg

Manzy2.jpg

Found a couple of pieces that I was specifically looking for, but am still in search of the perfect piece.
This is better than what Gerry got(sorry!).

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I sent a batch to the UK, cost about 100$ US to ship per box.
About 90cmx 60cmx 45cm size.

It's the bulk, not the weight that kills on the shipping cost.

Gerry lives where there's lot of cedar and nice Cypress, but there's not much in Europe.
I live in mountains and many different climatic zones, so I've got access to quite a few types of woods.

We just go out and collect, toss in the truck and head home, wash and clean it up good.
About a little over 1 hour away.

Huge water falls nearby(how I find a lot of different things etc).

Regards,
Tom Barr

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Tom,

That is some nice wood... I esp like that one piece in the second picture.....very nice....I can picture that in a tank....

I have lots of palm trees by me but not much in the way of attractive driftwood :)

BTW, the 90 T. Espei arrived earlier and are now in quarantine with a dozen left over cardinals (that have been in quarantine for 4 months because I forgot about them basically) and all of the sunset platies that I have....

They are active, colorful, and eating already. Nice schooling and in the upper strata :)

Very attractive fish and I am sure they will look better in the future in the display tank..

I think they will look great in the tank and plan on getting more if they do well for me....I can see them replacing the cards entirely to make this the main species...

But the cards would HAVE to go to a good home as I have had some of them for several years....

Well, time will tell. At least 3-4 weeks of quarantine and fattening them up....

BTW, I ordered the Vortech mp20 and will see how that works out....I like the fact that I can add/remove it w/o touching any other plumbing....I guess I can always sell if I don't really like it...I expect to get it by this weekend and will report........

Thanks,

dutchy

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Jul 6, 2009
The Netherlands
Tom Barr;50843 said:
I live in mountains and many different climatic zones, so I've got access to quite a few types of woods.

We just go out and collect, toss in the truck and head home, wash and clean it up good.
About a little over 1 hour away.

Regards,
Tom Barr

You're lucky. Maybe you should start a business selling wood ;) Just one drive per day and collect. Some nice pieces there.

regards,
D.

dutchy

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Jul 6, 2009
The Netherlands
Gerryd;50846 said:
BTW, I ordered the Vortech mp20 and will see how that works out....I like the fact that I can add/remove it w/o touching any other plumbing....I guess I can always sell if I don't really like it...I expect to get it by this weekend and will report........

Thanks,

I'm sure you're going to like it.

D.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
dutchy;50868 said:
You're lucky. Maybe you should start a business selling wood ;) Just one drive per day and collect. Some nice pieces there.

regards,
D.

Shipping these branchy pieces stinks though.
They do not weigh much, but are difficult to box up and get to fit into boxes.
When people hear the shipping cost, they are oftern shocked.
This is why it's best to find local things, but.........if you do not live anywhere close, then........you have to pay a high price.

And of course some weed in CA, is some rare, exciting driftwood in Japan or Singapore.

Regards,
Tom Barr

C

CL_

Tom, you make me jealous when you post pics of the driftwood that you have locally.

Gerry, the tank looks great. That blyxa has grown in pretty well :)

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
dutchy;50795 said:
Looks good Gerry. I can see some simularities in the Blyxa/Stauro group with my tank :) In 6 to 8 weeks it will be just as dense like mine. If you're going to put Stellata in the background, maybe it's a good idea to use the broadleaf version. It's more robust and doesn't stunt that fast. Colour is a bit lighter than the fine leaf version, that's good for contrast in the background.Regards,
dutchy.

CL_;50917 said:
Gerry, the tank looks great. That blyxa has grown in pretty well :)

Hi,

Thanks to both of you for the compliments....

I had really used your two and Tom's pics/examples of the Blyxa as my benchmark and was concerned that I would fall short of the standard...

I was hoping you all didn't mind my 'borrowing' the stauro/blyxa look.. :)

It grew in much more quickly than I had imagined/hoped and is much deeper than you can even see...

When I get more stauro this week, I will push the blyxa on the right back some so the stauro is not just the single line you see now, but will take more of the front area....

I used to have the broadleaf stellata and it would contrast well, but it grew too fast for me and was a PITA to trim...

I do think something else for contrast would look good.

I am open to other suggestions....The stellata is only there temporarily to grow it out some and see how it's shape and form...

Can't wait to put the new rasbora shoal in there... they are looking good so far....

No Vortech to play with yet....

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Bolbitus would look good on the wood, darker, etc..........cooler looking. Might be a better choice than say Needle leaf Java. Both look good in current.

Regards,
Tom Barr

C

CL_

Oh, you're ordering an MP20. Very cool. I've wanted one since I started reefing, and I'm finally getting around to it. From what I've seen and read, you're really going to like it. Comes with some fun settings, too :D

Blyxa can become a real monster.
http://i41.tinypic.com/e9ta2c.jpg

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Tom,

The bolbitus is on the bottom rocks/wood on the right side.... Kinda buried beneath the branches but is starting to come around...

I may replace the narrow fern on the right with the bolbitus so it is more visible....

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi all,

Mp20 delivered and now installed :)

I found it outside my door just now...must have been a later delivery..

Of course I had to hook it up right away..

Easy to do so, quiet, very nice.

I think I should have gotten the Mp30 or 40 but we will see.

It will take a week or so of playing with the modes and speeds to get a better perspective on how much I like it and if undersized for my application.

So far so good.

You can see the difference when on/off for sure...

I have it about 3-4" from the top on the end of the tank... that blows the same way as my main outlet flow...

Later Edit: I like lagoon mode.....I should have gotten the 30 or 40 but maybe playing around with placement some more will help. It's only been 15 minutes:rolleyes:

dutchy

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Jul 6, 2009
The Netherlands
Hi Gerry,

There is no MP30 ;) So what do you expect of the MP40 that makes you think you should have bought that one? The size is the same, just the min and max speed are different. If you really think you should have bought the MP40 we can exchange the transformator box or the whole thing. Do you have a 24V connection on the controller box?
You have to move it around a bit to see what is the best position, in perspective to your plants and scape. I finally found a place for it 2 inch from the top and one third to the back, to keep the plants growing straight.

The undertow is great, if fish don't swim they are being slowly pulled to the MP40. It's funny to see how they sometimes use the flow to move around the tank.

Regards,
dutchy

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi Dutchy,

I would say the min/max speed since all else is the same...

Yes, I have the 12v/24v connections on the side.

I can buy the upgrade kit to a 40 for about $149 I remember seeing....

http://www.marinedepot.com/Ecotech_...werheads-EcoTech_Marine-EM1131-FIPHAC-vi.html

If we traded, you would lose money, no? I would not like that for you......we can discuss via pm...so an even up trade seems out....maybe my unit plus a free 40gal tank?

I still need to play with placement as I have a lot of flow from my pump/configuration and maybe have just not found the optimal placement yet..

Still is better than not having it I think :)

Question:

How to remove the cord holders once stuck to the glass? I am glad they provided extras.....but now have an extra one on the wrong side from playing around :)

dutchy

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Jul 6, 2009
The Netherlands
Gerryd;51203 said:
Hi Dutchy,

Question:

How to remove the cord holders once stuck to the glass? I am glad they provided extras.....but now have an extra one on the wrong side from playing around :)

You're in big problems ;) To be honest, with some force you should be able to tear them off with your fingers. I did, anyway.

A 40 gal tank? :) I just sold my old 53 gallon minutes ago.

My MP40 is now running at it's lowest setting, 1000 gph. Just to try I turned it up to half the setting (which should be 2000 gph and is your maximum) and my plants are still recovering :). I don't think the 3000 gph setting is very usable and I also don't think that even Tom is using that.

Well, try, and if you get unhappy about it, PM me.

regards,
dutchy

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi Dutchy,

Well the 40gal would come with fish, plants, water, etc. Just unpack and plug in :)

So, I turned off my main pump and waited 15 minutes.....

I used only the vortech to see the effect on the tank. Not bad, but not sending plants sideways or anything. Nice broad flow, but seems to peter out starting a little more than halfway across the tank. You can still feel it, but due to it's width is not as strong as closer to the impeller.

I believe it is installed properly, I measured .5" glass and used that for the pin/gasket assembly setting.

Nice and quiet, no vibrations, flow is good and broad. Adjustable, goes to other modes.

I think I was just EXPECTING more out of the 20.. I though that since the 40 was so powerful, that the 20 would be fine, but maybe not...It could be playing a role.

I will play with it for awhile and see.. I do like it, just not seeing the MAJOR effects that others do. Is certainly adding more flow to other dead areas of the tank, so is better than before...

No undertow effect yet that I can see. Using various modes....

Will keep posting....Thanks for all answers, compliments, encouragement, and advice!!!!!

P.S. Just got the latest 049 from Tom... Will plant it up now.....I need to start giving away some of this Blyxa...Anyone?

dutchy

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Jul 6, 2009
The Netherlands
Hi Gerry,

I notice the undertow when a fish like an angle stops swimming and is being pulled towards the MP40. Slowly, but anyway. And that's at a 1000 gph. My L. Aromatica is bending slightly towards the MP40 too. I can see the flow at the back of the tank is towards the MP40, not away from it. I'm running it in continious mode.

Well, feeling the flow is very subjective. I just use the plants. If I can see the leaves moving, that's good enough for me.

regards,
dutchy.