New Leaves Start Burning In Dsm

mohmtlb

Mar 11, 2019
US
I have started a new tank setup with DSM method (I am within 4th week of this process). I am trying to grow Dwarf Baby Tears. I am using a low maintenance method that takes advantage of adding moist air into the tank from an external air pump. Air pump shoots air into a sealed bottle filled with water through an air stone. Ultimately the moist air is delivered to the tank. I am also adding CO2 (1 bubble per 5-10 seconds to boost the growth with extra co2 within tank). I provided an exhausting tube to prevent pressure build ups and also a very tiny fan (10 mm diameter) that allows more ventilation within tank (fan is on for 1 minutes every 30 minutes). I am using twinstar 900 36" for 12 hours and also turn on my ray2 finnex led fixture for 45 mins from 12 pm to 12:45 pm to imitate the sun light. ADA aquasoil plus three additives and aquasand are used for substrate. I don't mist the soil regularly as the moist air delivers the water to the soil and keeps the leaves moist. a week ago I added a little water by spraying and drained the excess water as a precaution to prevent mold. During the first two weeks of DSM the plants were growing very fast and I was really fascinated by their performance. Unfortunately, the plants started burning now. A very few roots started getting red and burn. Also, some new leaves are burning. I did not use any fertilizer on top of the plants neither dosed through the soil. Since I am using ADA aquasoil I believe it is reach in nutrient and I don't need to add anything. I also used aqua sand and three additives to the bottom of the tank. Aquasoil does not have some micro elements and potash I believe. I only added a very very very small amount of H2O2 (1 drop for 1500 ml of water) just to add oxygen to the tank. And I added the mixture to the sandy part of the tank which should not cause any oxidization of the roots and leaves.I am not sure what is the problem. Do I need to cut the light short to 10 hours? Do I need to flood the tank for a few days and add micro macro ferts and then drain and continue the DSM from there? I am afraid loosing all the plants that were growing fantastic. I still see growth here and there, but the new elongated branches of the plant do not develop new vertical roots to catch the soil and it is intimidating. A very few roots start becoming red which is not a good sign too. I have all required equipment available including the pressurized co2 and filter to flood the tank. What do you suggest? Any suggestion appreciated.

mohmtlb

Mar 11, 2019
US
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg

Uslanja

Subscriber
Jul 23, 2016
Ridgeway, Ontario, Canada
I am so new at this that I realy can't offer a suggestion, but I see no one has stepped up. The burning does not look to wide spread and the root growth is looking good along the front glass. What if you slowed things done by stopping the co2 and just continue with supplying atmospheric air through the air stone?