New growth yellowish and transperant

mr_india

Junior Poster
Aug 13, 2009
Dear all

I am a newbie. Recently started a new tank of around 19 G size. I have Amazon (Dwarf), Criptos and hairgrass. 2 * 18w tubes and DIY CO2 through powerhead inlet. UG filter. tank is around 6 weeks old.

New growth in Amazon is quite yellowish and transperant. It seems like iron deficiency. But Cripts or Hairgrass is growing well, at least not showing any deficiency. Problem is only with the Amazons. Amazons are throwing one new leaf every other day. Also there are runners also spreading new amazon kids here and there.

I am dosing as per EI + MgSO4. There are some patches of brown algae and some green spots on the glass.

My photo period is around 10 hours. I am unable to get any pearling. Only the algae patches keep on pearling all the time. There is hardly any pearling on the plants except after water change. After water change all the plants start pearling.

Please help me to solve this problem........

Regards

PRADEEP

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Micros?

Hi Pradeep,

MgSO4 would be part of EI.

Are you using CSM+B or some equivalent for micros? If you are not, that would be your iron deficiency.

The algae is likely the same deficiency or CO2.

Biollante

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi,

I think the DIY C02 is the issue.....

If the plants pearl well after the WC and not in general that is a good clue for insufficient or ineffecient c02...

I do not use diy c02 so others may be able to help more, but rotating fresh bottles is a help.

Hope this helps.

mr_india

Junior Poster
Aug 13, 2009
PH is 7.5

Thnks there for the inputs. I just have checked the PH of the water. It is at 7.5 Is this any thing related to the issue ? How to lower it around 6 ?

Regards

PRADEEP

mr_india

Junior Poster
Aug 13, 2009
One more thing ........... I am new to EI . I wrongly prepared macro + micro mixture together in 500 ml and dosing 5 ml of it daily. (micro and macro needs to be seperated or will it be ok mixing together ?

Regards

PRADEEP

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
In my non-botanic, expert or otherwise opinion...

If it were me, I would simply dose an equal amount daily. Make sure to give the mixture a good shake before dosing. I think there are quite a few who do it that way anyhow.

Biollante

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi Pradeep,

Just dose the macros and micros 3-4 hours apart and all will be well.

You can dose daily as suggested (a good one!) or several times a week that fits your schedule. Just dose more less frequently or less more frequently :)......

Co2 will always be your main lack so think about this long term. Many plants can be grown quite well without c02, but IMO you will never get optimal growth without it....or that lush look we all strive for........

Hunting around via the web and such, a decent c02 setup can be had for $100-200. However for plant growth no other single nutrient has such an impact on plant and algae growth (or lack thereof!). You will spend much more on things that have less impact (test kits, water conditioners, RO, etc) over the long term and none of those things will affect plants as much as c02.

Your tank is small so getting decent c02 with DIY is much more feasable and I would focus my attention there. Nutrient deficiencies are easy to rule out by providing non limiting nutrients as per the EI method.

Getting enough c02 to plants is an art unto itself LOL Please also note that light intensity (and to a lesser extent duration) have a major impact on plant growth and thus nutrient demand. Less light will require less c02 and other nutrients.

Please also remember that as the plants grow (and they are all weeds at heart) the increased bio-mass will require MORE C02 AND NUTRIENTS, so these must be adjusted to match the current bio-mass.

PH is not that important to plants or fish as long as extremes are avoided. c02 injection will lower ph. Unless you are breeding specific fish there is no real need to aim for a set ph. Your fish and plants will adapt to your water and you will spend less time and energy trying to change the water.

I hope this helps.

nipat

Guru Class Expert
May 23, 2009
mr_india;39508 said:
-- (micro and macro needs to be seperated or will it be ok mixing together ?

Regards

PRADEEP

KH2PO4 is said to cause precipitation of iron in micros. Although I've never
experienced this issue with mine (have tried), but I dose macros and micros
separately (before light on and after light off).

mr_india

Junior Poster
Aug 13, 2009
Thnks every one who responded....

So I will try to dose the macros and micros seperately as mentioned in EI dosing.

Actually in last 4 days I uped the daily dose to 7 ml. My amazons are improving now but very slowly..... But now there is a lot of brown slime algae on glass, and sand. It is also covering leafs apart from sand. I am worried about chocking my UG filter ( Due to slime coating on sand )and reducing overall flow. Is it brown algae or diatoms algae ? How to control it ?

Regards

PRADEEP

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Shush! Settled Science

Hi Pradeep,

The brown stuff is likely diatoms, a pain but nothing bad, wipe them up, and clean the filters. :(

I would love to add a couple of things, but diatoms on this site have nothing to do with silicates, it is "settled science” here.

However outside this space many (infidels and heathens no doubt) believe that silica is the limiting nutrient for diatoms. If you would like to read about it I suggest the work of that well known blasphemer, Tom Barr, http://www.barrreport.com/barr-repo...report-newsletter-diatoms-aquatic-plants.html as a starting point.:eek:

Please, don’t even mention C10H16N5O13P3.:eek:

Biollante

mr_india

Junior Poster
Aug 13, 2009
Dear Biollante

That one is tricky........ I really do not know how to clean under gravel filter without getting the plants out.

The link is opening a report but I do not have authority to open the page........

What is C10H16N5O13P3 ?????

Regards

PRADEEP

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Me Being A Pain

Don't worry about the diatoms, when you change the water just lightly vacuum the gravel. Don't disturb the plants.:)

C10H16N5O13P3 is Adenosine triphosphate, ATP it is a basic unit of nutrient energy. It is part of a basic recipe for, in this case diatoms, silicates being the limiting nutrient, don't worry about it, I am being a pain over "settled science," just me being a pain. Sometimes I simply cannot help myself.:(

My apology!

Biollante