New CO2 system - rector confuses me!!!

nickmcmechan

Prolific Poster
Mar 15, 2008
Edinburgh, Scotland
Hi, just joind the forum here (first post).

I've just set up this system today (let me know what you think?):

CO2-Complete System+magnetic valve+Reactor/500g bottle on eBay, also Cleaning Water Treatments, Fish, Pet Supplies, Home Garden (end time 18-Mar-08 19:59:21 GMT).

However, wanted to connect the reactor to my cannister, but could not get it working.

In the meantime I've used the diffuser from this:

...Hydor Green NRG CO2 Exclusive System... on eBay, also Live Plants, Fish, Pet Supplies, Home Garden (end time 20-Mar-08 19:44:52 GMT)

which sits in the tank, i've placed it below the output of my spraybar to try and distribute the bubbles over the tank.

Any thoughts on how I get this reactor working with my eheim 2213?

Thanks.

tedr108

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Nov 21, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I'm not sure what you are trying to do. It would probably be easier just to buy a cheap powerhead type of pump (with perhaps a 180 gph -- not sure of your tank size) and run the output from this little pump into this reactor in your tank. In order to use it with your canister output, you would need to branch off a portion of your spray bar output to this reactor ... sounds complicated and would cut down on your tank's flow.

nickmcmechan

Prolific Poster
Mar 15, 2008
Edinburgh, Scotland
thanks ted, power head thing is probably the best way to go

the tank is 180 litres, what size of powerhead would be best and what is the ideal way to position it?

i assume you just attach the airline to the input of the powerhead?

any pics of this setup?

would this be better than a glass diffuser?

tedr108

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Nov 21, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Nick,

In looking at the picture and description of your reactor, I think I have it figured out. If it works well, it should be able to supply your 180L with enough CO2.

You see that nipple at the top that has the little tube attached to it that extends down through and almost to the bottom of the reactor? That is where your CO2 feeds in.

Now is where it gets a little tricky for me. I think that the nipple that extends out sideways is where the pump will pump water into your reactor. The other knob at the top I believe is some sort of adjustment.

Here is what is supposed to happen: water swirls from the top of your reactor and out of the bottom as the pump pumps water into it. While this is happens, CO2 is coming out of the bottom of the little tube and will actually rise up against the current. While the CO2 bubble is rising, it gets swished around and will dissolve.

It is possible that the pump is supposed to pump into the other nipple at the top and the water gets redirected into the swirling motion, but I doubt this. At least you know what is supposed to happen while the reactor is running, so you'll be able to figure it out yourself.

By the way, in the Articles forum, there are some descriptions on how to make your own DIY reactors (internal or external), in case this one does not work out for you.

Read up on drop checkers too ... it's the only good way to really know if you are getting the right amount of CO2. There is a post on Drop Checkers in the Articles forum also.

And, yes, a reactor like this will always be better than a glass diffuser.

scottca

Junior Poster
Mar 6, 2008
nickmcmechan - I have the exact same kit, im pretty impressed with it so far.

I had the same problem with the reactor provided, couldnt get it working, I have contacted the seller and they have sent me a pdf document on how the reactor should work. Its a pretty big attachment I think so if you PM me your mail address I can forward it on to you :)

Thanks,

Craig