New CO2 and Larger Tank

marilyn1998

Junior Poster
Jul 1, 2006
Commerce, MI
I just got the regulator made by aquariumplants.com and the CO2 Reactor 200 with Rio 50 pump.

I have a 90 gallon, 48x18x24. I run A Filstar XP3 on each side with the spraybar at the top pointed up and a bit toward the front of the tank. I get a nice ripple effect. Also, I have hydor inline heaters on both returns of the filters.

I have the reactor on the left end of the tank about 1 inch above the substrate. The CO2 is high enough to lower my PH almost a full point to 6.4. My fish arent stressed, but I still have my staghorn of course.

My question is, with no other pumps and with the spray bars at the top... am I getting the best bang on the CO2 delivery?

It has only been running for 3 days so I am unsure of the effect so far. My CO2 runs 11 hours and is on a timer to go off and on with my lights.

Thanks in advance.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
You ilkely will be okay with that amount of light.
The reactor is poorly underpowereed for a 90 gallon.

Given your equipment and preferences, seems a DIY CO2 in line reactor for 10$ would be a better option, simply place in line with one of the returns on the cansiter filters.

If you want to make a DIY that is clear as well, Aquatic Eco-Systems - Aquaculture Supplies and service for over 25 years. sells clear 2 and 3" dia PCV.

Most folks just use the plain white stuff.

Here's a simple link for the DIY:

Rex's Guide to building a CO2 reactor

and

GWAPA: DIY Inline CO2 Reactor

the one Ghori has is simpler.

Regards,
Tom Barr

marilyn1998

Junior Poster
Jul 1, 2006
Commerce, MI
Thanks Tom! I am going to check that out and do inline. Now that I understand HOW the CO2 works better, I am starting to be able to follow it all.

With the reactor going into the INside of the filter, through the filter itself and coming OUT the spraybar... does most of the CO2 end up on the sirface of the water????

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
You have two filters right?

Use one the blast the CO2 rich water downwards into the plant beds.
The other should ripple across the surface.

This will keep the O2 good and the CO2 good as well.

Cost: about 10$

Sell the CO2 reactor you have and you should be about even.

Regards,
Tom Barr