New algae treatment?

Ian H

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005
Shipley, West Yorkshire, UK
I've just been browsing through one of my online suppliers pond catalogue. In it is a gadget that looks like a plug, the write-up states "Banish blanket weed from your pond by treating the water with electronic radio freqency, this new process keeps pond weed and blanket weed away from your pond for good. Treats up to 30,000 litres."

Wow, if it treats that ammount of water my tanks BBA days are numbered. As a bonus it removes limescale also.

What a product, no chemicals, clean and efficient............................If it works!!! :D

You done anything in this area then Tom?

Ian

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Re: New algae treatment?

They use ultrasonic waves to kill algae already, I am research it to kill SAM's, namely Egeria and Hydrilla.

But the algae version can kill all the algae you have and keep it gone while not harming the plants.............

These could be produced for a reasonable amount of $ I would think, but it's doubtfull this will occur.

The pond sized units that treat 100-150 m diameter areas run 2000-2500$ ea.
I use one in a client's lake.

This thing sounds like snake oil though, radio waves don't possess enough energy unless at a very high wattages(think about this when you are tuning in sometimes vs a microwave/Xray etc).

Soundwaves have a stronger impact on algae cells.

Regards,
Tom Barr