New ADA 60p non CO2, no excel etc, for L046 Zebra plecos

JJ..Bequiet

Prolific Poster
Jul 19, 2010
I really like the look of this and use of hydrocotyle, ...can we some of this tanks main focus..l046?
Thanks, always impressed.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
They hide and just sit there, not interesting behaviorally really.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
All I ever get is a tail or a partial shot, I do not sit and wait or remove their caves just to take a pretty picture of them, the plants block most of the light as well.
I do not design my tanks to be photographed, I design them to be seen in person.
Cryptic fish are not easy to take pics of in a well planted dark tank.

You are going to have to live with it or else I might get lucky and get a decent shot that's not blurred.

But do not count on it.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
New pics, the tank is evolving still, the wood in the lower part will change a little and the moss and anubias will grow in more on top.

ca09afe4.jpg

f7270730.jpg

I have not added fish yet, the zebras just where too boring for the tank.
Not sure what yet though.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
feh;69163 said:
This deserves some interesting fish. Btw where's your intake?

Buried behind some plants, once the tank is fully matured, you will not see the in/out flow.

stevo

Junior Poster
Nov 21, 2011
Can You please provide me a full plant list, used for this layout? I would be delighted to get them.

This tank truly inspired me, and I will make a similar setup, but using red moor woods (unfortunately here in Hungary manzanita is impossible to get), with lower water level + mistifier (fog maker), what do You think, will it work, with a clever plant selection?
Does any plant live under the shadows? Or this is just a dead idea?
Thanks for answering.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
stevo;75881 said:
Can You please provide me a full plant list, used for this layout? I would be delighted to get them.

This tank truly inspired me, and I will make a similar setup, but using red moor woods (unfortunately here in Hungary manzanita is impossible to get), with lower water level + mistifier (fog maker), what do You think, will it work, with a clever plant selection?
Does any plant live under the shadows? Or this is just a dead idea?
Thanks for answering.

I've shipped Manzy to Romania, I see no reason why Hungary would be an issue, the shipping is typically 70-100$ however.
I'd use local wood etc if I were you though!

stevo

Junior Poster
Nov 21, 2011
Tom Barr;75883 said:
..I'd use local wood etc if I were you though!
I will take a look in the nearest forests, no doubt! ;)

Can You please answer my first question about the plants? Or should I search for plants, what doesn't required to be planted?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Most plants work pretty well with type of aquascape, since many are emergently grown anyway.

leonroy

Junior Poster
Lifetime Member
Interesting departure from a high tech planted tank. It's beautiful to look at (even without fish!). Recently saw Heiko Blehrer speak on biotopes - where he'd attempt to replicate a particular species natural habitat within an aquarium. Apparently normally shy fish which would hide all day in their old tank were so comfortable in their new biotope tank that they'd even start to spawn within hours of introduction.

Might be worth hitting him up for info on what fish would suit this or why the zebra plecos were so shy.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
We already know why they are shy, they live in 30 meter deep water where's it's quite dark.

But, that will soon end when they dam the river up where they are from. Ironically, they outlawed taking many species from the area around the same time they started planning the dam of the Xingu River. The Governament said it was outraged that Foreign People where stealing their prized natural resources.
Or put another way, get out of the region so we can build a dam and destroy all these animals and wildlife so we can get cheap electric to build that Aluminum smelting plant and not only pollute the area, but clear cut the forest around it, and flood millions of acres.

REAL concern about the fish eh?
Blue eye plecos also.

leonroy

Junior Poster
Lifetime Member
Tom Barr;76075 said:
We already know why they are shy, they live in 30 meter deep water where's it's quite dark.

I wonder, does water pressure also influence a deep river fish's natural behavior? 30 meter deep water is 3 atmospheres or so, I'd imagine a 60cm tank would be barely more than 1 atmosphere. Be interesting to read up on know if deep sea fish can be kept in aquariums without distressing them.

Tom Barr;76075 said:
But, that will soon end when they dam the river up where they are from.

Very sorry to hear, sadly I think we're going to see far more habitat and species loss from irresponsible industrialization before things get any better (and possibly not in our life times).