Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Just got the water in it.

ResizedADAnoCO21.jpg

resizedsideviewADAnoCO2.jpg

IMG_1606.jpg

There will be plants, but only emergent plants attached to the snag wood at the top.
High flow, 2x a week water changes(right next to the bathroom, takes me 2-3 min to do 50% water change), Rena XP3 filter, 17mm lily pipes, Hydor in line heater.

*I do not want planted tank in the lower section where these fish hide.
I wanted a brighter sediment also to provide good viewing of the fish.

They can hide in this set up but can still be seen, but the plants, non CO2 and other aesthetics are not compromised. In this aquarium, the fish are far more emphasized than the plants and are the focus.

Being 046 zebras, what do you expect?:cool:
I've not seen any non CO2 planted ADA tanks more than some dinky little shrimp tank perhaps.Virtually all had ADA AS in some part of them also.

Regards,
Tom Barr

JDowns

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2007
New Hope, Pennsylvania
Looks cool.

The emergent plants should create a nice shaddowing effect at the bottom.

Are you still looking for the Ceratopteris pteridoides? If you can't find any I can get you some really really cheap.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
JDowns;42190 said:
Looks cool.

The emergent plants should create a nice shaddowing effect at the bottom.

Are you still looking for the Ceratopteris pteridoides? If you can't find any I can get you some really really cheap.

Yes!, if you have not shipped off the P stellata, add some!

I'll ship you the H gardeni

Tom barr

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
dutchy;42191 said:
Beautiful fish, those zebra pleco's. Expensive too, around $200 a piece here.
Not doing a biotope?

No, not really. Just doing what looks nice and provides a nice habitat for them, myself and the entrance. I could, but there's no plants where the fish lives, deep in the Xingu:eek:

Regards,
Tom Barr

dutchy

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Jul 6, 2009
The Netherlands
I was in the Amazon a few times and a lot of rivers are just big mudflows with zero visiblity. Would make a nice biotope :cool: You will never see your fish.:D

Hope to see more pics.

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
That's got to be the most aesthetically pleasing way to show off L-46's that I've seen. VERY good idea.

Now for once I'm going to give you advice. You should replace that old intake hose; it's an eyesore on an otherwise stunning tank :p

-Philosophos

JDowns

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2007
New Hope, Pennsylvania
Tom Barr;42198 said:
Yes!, if you have not shipped off the P stellata, add some!

I'll ship you the H gardeni

Tom barr

Stellata went out Thursday. You should have got it yesterday. Looks like it will be tomorrow. Thank goodness its cool out.

How much do you want. There is plenty of it available and I can stop by and get some Monday and ship it out to you. There big bulky stems btw, about 12".

nipat

Guru Class Expert
May 23, 2009
Philosophos;42201 said:
That's got to be the most aesthetically pleasing way to show off L-46's that I've seen. VERY good idea.

Now for once I'm going to give you advice. You should replace that old intake hose; it's an eyesore on an otherwise stunning tank :p

-Philosophos

No, they both will look the same anyway (given time).
Don't know why opaque (such as white) hoses aren't popular in aquarium.:confused:

dantra

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2007
TX
Tom Barr;42189 said:

aquarium.jpg

Tom our whole setup looks very similar :D My photo take from this thread. By the way, that's a very beautiful set up. Simple yet affective! I'm surprised you aren't using plants for this set up but I totally understand where you are coming from.

*Subscribed*

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
That's why I keep my hoses hidden. If I didn't, I'd change them out every now and then on my show tanks, or as you said use opaque tubing.

-Philosophos

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Philosophos;42201 said:

-Philosophos

The other will rapidly be colonized with filth and discolor soon enough. Not paying 30$ for Rena new hoses. If I'm by Tap plastics anytime, I might, but heck, lot of work.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
JDowns;42202 said:
Stellata went out Thursday. You should have got it yesterday. Looks like it will be tomorrow. Thank goodness its cool out.

How much do you want. There is plenty of it available and I can stop by and get some Monday and ship it out to you. There big bulky stems btw, about 12".

One/two bunches
The idea why is due to maintaining the smaller leaf and appearances. This fern is very pinninate, so I'll add HC and dwarf petite Anubias. The Water sprite forms the main floating island structure, the top of the wood holds that in place.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Danta, yes, a very common tank size, light bar, knock off ADA style stand, but what you do from there is really what counts. BTW, there's no need for mat on smaller tanks, 90-120 cm perhaps,m but not for a 60p/or any 24" long tank.
Styrofoam, any rubber material etc works.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
Tom Barr;42228 said:
The other will rapidly be colonized with filth and discolor soon enough. Not paying 30$ for Rena new hoses. If I'm by Tap plastics anytime, I might, but heck, lot of work.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Home Depot sells 5/8 ID tubing that fits a little tight on XP's, but ultimately works. I'm pretty hey sell some nice solid black stuff, too.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Philosophos;42234 said:
Home Depot sells 5/8 ID tubing that fits a little tight on XP's, but ultimately works. I'm pretty hey sell some nice solid black stuff, too.

That HD stuff sucks!

TAP plastic sells the nicer flex tubing, but it's still not quite as nice as the Rena, but it very soft and clear.

I go by them every week, so I might nab a few ft.
Home Depot tubing is as cheap as it gets, stiff and not very nice to work with.
I never buy tubing from them.

Regards,
Tom Barr

deucebiggss

Guru Class Expert
Aug 31, 2009
I just bought the Tygon tubing and love it. Easy to work with and very flexible. Its expensive, but you get what you pay for in my book. I'm with Tom on the Home Depot tubing its crap.