New ADA 60p non CO2, no excel etc, for L046 Zebra plecos

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I'm sort of okay with it. It's infested with 100+ cherry shrimp. I'm not liking the mass of Water sprite look. I need to give it more time to decide whether I will make any changes. It's a very easy to care for aquarium.

I might switch to more mosses and Anubias, they look pretty good and the moss has very nice capillary action to bring water to other plants higher up on the wood.

HC also will look good on this.

I might phase the water sprite out slowly and decide that way. The wood has fully matured and does not move around during water changes. So perhaps this week I'll add fish.

Regards,
Tom Barr

dutchy

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Jul 6, 2009
The Netherlands
Ok...can you post a nice picture with the fish? I (and I'm sure not just me) would like to see the result.

Beautiful fish those zebras.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
frontADADEc092.jpg

And

resizedADADec091.jpg

Fish are in there but hide.
100? CRS are also in there.
Bolbitus is growing without any CO2/Excel etc.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
resizedtopofADA20gal.jpg

I'm not as keen on the massive weedy growth of the Water sprite, some like it, but I'm after something a little bit more subtle, I hacked it way back, and I have to trim the roots about once a month.

Where I am going is more moss on branches and Anubias. I might train the pennywort on this as well. HC just started growing after being infested in some moss, so I will allow that to grow. Bolbitus looks decent emergent in another tank, but I like the Anubias better mixed with moss. Need to think more about other species to try that will give me a nice look and not end up with weedy roots everywhere.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
1169ba49.jpg

fee94eb4.jpg

3923d17d.jpg

c3357d69.jpg

296cae05.jpg

Tank is pretty easy to care for, I use a sponge prefilter on a Rena 3 that gets cleaned about once every 3 months. I'll pick off dead leaves, but it's easy since they grow out of the water, easy to get too, moss acts as the water conduit for higher growing plants.

There is a lot more Anubias than you can see.
I'm letting the pennywort and Water sprite take over a bit more.

The roots and the shoot of the water sprite are both trimmed, not just the leaves/stem/shoot.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Ekrindul

Guru Class Expert
Jul 9, 2010
Euless, TX
Tom,

Any chance you might give us a rundown of how you set this up, how you are dosing this tank, etc.? I would love to set up something like this as a 3rd low maintenance tank, but I'm not sure how some of this works. The anubias & mosses are obvious, but what about the water sprite and worts. It appears they are just attached to the wood and gather nutrients from the water collumn with the large root systems, which I assume is why you chose these plants? Are there other plants you could have used in their place? Say h difformis? Any possibility of emergent echinodorus working in this setup, or is that silly?

I really like this setup due to the optimal viewing of the fish vs a paludarium setup, while still allowing for emergent growth.

C

csmith

Alright, I've tried finding the answer. How does the emergent growth stay alive while also being out in the open like that? I don't see how the tank could be producing enough humidity to to keep all of that happy. Does it just acclimate to the extreme drop in humidity?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
It's really dry here in CA.........the roots are fine if they are in the water, the moss acts as a conduit for the water via capillary forces.
Also, moss is sort of the "sediment" for some plants.

The tops of the wood and maybe 2-3" down, I wrapped and used cotton thread for the moss, and also wrapped the Anubias. Penny wort an d water sprite just are sitting on top of that and will root fuse into the moss after awhile.

It is very self explanatory if you look at the pics, just time and moss "creep" really.

Regards,
Tom Barr

C

csmith

Tom Barr;54646 said:
It's really dry here in CA.........the roots are fine if they are in the water, the moss acts as a conduit for the water via capillary forces.
Also, moss is sort of the "sediment" for some plants.

The tops of the wood and maybe 2-3" down, I wrapped and used cotton thread for the moss, and also wrapped the Anubias. Penny wort an d water sprite just are sitting on top of that and will root fuse into the moss after awhile.

It is very self explanatory if you look at the pics, just time and moss "creep" really.

Regards,
Tom Barr

I get and understand all of that. I moreso meant the stem growth out to the left of the tank and the high growth under the lights. Those sections specifically, do they not require the moisture? Basically what I'm getting at is once a plant is emergent, does it adapt to the surrounding environment as long as its root structure has the moisture it needs?
The only emergent growth I've dealt with is a DSM tank, so this is obviously a bit counterintuitive to what I thought I knew on the subject (i.e. the leaves still need to be kept in a humid environment).

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I removed the Water sprite, but it'll be a few weeks till the other plants fill in, I might get a good sized Anubias for that corner I think.
I think this will look better.

Regards,
Tom Barr

nipat

Guru Class Expert
May 23, 2009
Reading somewhere you dose the tank by spraying fert solutions?
If so, won't the leaves get fert residue on them? :confused:

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
dutchy;56213 said:
Pretty,

I might start something like this on the Killifish tank I'm planning.

regards,
dutchy

You you like dried fish or something?
Killifish are reknown for their ability to jump out even closed hoods:)

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
nipat;56222 said:
Reading somewhere you dose the tank by spraying fert solutions?
If so, won't the leaves get fert residue on them? :confused:

That is the idea. Ferts on the plants, not in the water.

Ran a CO2 meter on the tank, reads about 2-3ppm.

Regards,
Tom Barr

dutchy

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Jul 6, 2009
The Netherlands
Tom Barr;56228 said:
You you like dried fish or something?
Killifish are reknown for their ability to jump out even closed hoods:)

Regards,
Tom Barr

Bad idea...they are way too expensive for that. Thnx for the warning. :)

regards,
dutchy

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I have kept clowns and Golden Australs for awhile, never had one last long in an open top tank.
EVERY one jumped.

Regards,
Tom Barr