This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

New 55g Project (Finally!)

Discussion in 'Articles' started by David, Oct 30, 2012.

1. David

David Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    5:28 PM
    Latest FTS

Hi guys,

Here's an updated Full-Tank Shot. My E. tennellus is growing in beautifully again.

Runners haven't started yet, but I expect it to increase in density once again within a few weeks.

The crypts in the back are filling out nicely, as is the moss on the driftwood to the left.

[​IMG]
    FULL-SIZE:http://imageshack.us/a/img196/5642/img3739d.jpg

Cheers

2. Ulloriaqsmith

Ulloriaqsmith Junior Poster

Local Time:
    cool snapshots.. i like the clarity and arrangements done in your aquarium,. just want to know what you generally use for cleaning the aquarium

3. David

David Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Hi ulloriaqsmith, thanks for your question.

Cleaning is really minimal now for this tank. Just to give you a little re-cap of what I currently do:

I've stopped dosing all macro ferts as my bio load is high, and dose micros once per week on water change day. I've backed my light hours off to about 10 hours per day from 12 as I had it originally set up. I also raised my lights a few inches higher above the tank. Dialled in my CO2 very carefully and found the best position for my powerheads for circulation. With that being told, I've essentially eliminated all algae growth, with the exception of a very small amount of spot algae on the glass.

So, cleaning the aquarium for me consists of using a razor blade once every month or two on the glass to clear it up, and occasionally remove decaying leaves, mainly from my Echinodorus ozelot (Ozelot Sword) and occasionally Echinodorus tenellus (Pygmy chain swords -- there is sometimes a bit of melting on plantlets when I separate them all from their runners every other month).

The 2217 canister (plumbed before my needle wheel mag-drive) gets cleaning every 4-6 months. I have a prefilter on it that keeps it operational longer.

The 2215 canister that has a surface skimmer and inline heater in the loop gets cleaned every 2-3 months. The skimmer catches a lot of plant matter that gets it clogged up quickly.

That's really about it.

Hope this helps,

4. David

David Prolific Poster

Local Time:
  5. Feidlimidsmith

Feidlimidsmith Junior Poster

Local Time:
    how much did you spend on the acquisition of these meters? i am desperate to make a purchase of them

6. David

David Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Meters? I'm not sure what you're after. Can you be more specific?