This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

New 40B in planning....

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by Doc7, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Doc7

Doc7 Member

Local Time:
    1:58 PM
    Hello all,

Considering the following, what do you think?

- 40 Breeder

- 2 x 36" Finnex Stingrays, mounted on legs on tank rim

- 2-3" sloped front-back Eco Complete Substrate (5 bags, for average 2.5" depth)

- 1 x Eheim 2217 filter with inline Hydor heater and a Fluval surface skimmer

- Dosing per Tom Barr Non CO2 Methods:

"User said:

While trace mixes can be added, I decided to use SeaChem Equilibrium instead.

It has Fe and Mn as well as Ca/K/Mg/SO4.

I will add about 1/4 teaspoon per 20 gal tank once every week or two.

This greatly enhances the growth of the plants.

I also will add about 1/8" and 1/32" teaspoon of KNO3 and KH2PO4 respectively once a week or two."

I will test my (well) water with GH/KH, for some advice - i notice there is no additional iron in the Tom Barr dosing. Do you think this will all be satisfactory?

- Thinking about doing an Ammonia cycle with just substrate and wood in tank before buying plants and fish. With a Low Tech Low Light tank will plants pull up enough ammonia for a "Silent Cycle" instead?

would you recommend aquasoil Amazonia vs the

ecocomplete?

thank you!

2. Pikez

Pikez Rotala Killer!
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    If you're going with Finnex, look into a blend of Planted+ and MonsterRay. I understand it is a personal preference, but these two look and work really well together.

Seachem Equilibrium is not a trace or comprehensive fertilizer. Flourish + Equilibrium fits the bill better. GH chemicals are real cheap if you buy them separately. Some pre-mixed GH boosters turn into a rock after a few months. You're better off using powder dosing with KNO3 and KH2PO4.

Aquasoil is certainly a better nutrient source than EcoComplete. But Aquasoil can be somewhat messy during cleaning times.

3. Dale Hazey

Dale Hazey Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I am no expert on any of this...

Tom has said that eco complete is inert(without-nutrients) Except iron?
    it's just clay substrate? Look into turface, people talk about using that along with other cheap clay alternatives, I imagine it's way cheaper than eco complete.
    I would use cheap substrate like pool filter sand, or a cheap clay substrate, and just dose the water column.

Aren't those finnex stingrays kinda strong lights? I would think without excel or Co2 you would want a short photoperiod to reduce the chances of algae.

I tried a silent cycle in my 40breeder, it seemed to work well until I pulled a bunch of stem plants and added more fish too fast. Then it crashed, the key to a silent cycle is probably a high plant biomass, while very slowly adding the fish and critters.

#3 Dale Hazey, Jun 29, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  4. Braineto

Braineto New Member

Local Time:
    8:58 AM
    2x Stingray's is very good option. Personally I like its color temp.

If by any means you can hang a fixture over the tank, go with Fluval Plant 2.0, it need to be raised 3-4" inches to get the full coverage/spread over a 40 breeder. Fluval is a very quality light if compared with Finnex Stingray, with 3 years limited warranty and waterproof.

If paying for substrate pay for Aquasoil or else go with cheaper alternatives (turface or pool filter sand). Eco-complete is crushed lava rock, its very easy setup a tank , just dump into the tank and fill water.