New 125g Tank

Butterfly Bettas

Junior Poster
Aug 31, 2016
Greetings! This is my first post here. Im really liking this forum! Thank you, Tom Barr, and all the others who have worked so hard at it.

I would like to set up a 125g tank (I currently have a low-tech 28g). Ive been researching how to set up the new tank for about a month. My water parameters are as follows:

pH: 7.8

KH: 200-300ppm (hard)

GH: 150ppm (hard)

Tank dimensions: 72 x 18 x 21

Finnex Planted +24 Aquarium LED light (2-36 strips on glass - goes up to 60 PAR max on the dawn, midday, afternoon, dusk, to night light automatic setting, so low-medium light. I haven't yet purchased these.)

2 Eheim canister filters (they're older, don't remember the exact model)

I would like a fully-planted, Amazonian set-up, with driftwood, terracing, and some clear space in the middle for the fish to school. Im looking at these fish, as I had them when I was a child:

Neon Tetras

Marbled Hatchetfish

Corydoras

Otos

Loaches

Ghost Catfish or Scissor-Tail Rasboras

Swordtails or Platies (asking for fry, I know)

Pearl Gouramis

Harlequin Rasboras

Bristlenose Plecos (already have in 28g)

Female Bettas (already have in 28g)

Id like to use either Safe-T-Sorb or Up Aqua soil/sand. Both of them potentially have the same problem: crashing the KH/lowering the pH (although since my water is so hard, I'm hoping that won't be a problem). The Safe-T-Sorb is a heck of a lot cheaper but doesn't contain nutrients. I'd prefer not to use CO2 or Excel but will dose EI as Tom suggests for a non-CO2 tank.

I currently have a few questions, and I welcome any and all constructive criticism about the information I've listed:

1. Ive come across a couple posts about Up Aqua where people have said it didnt lower their pH (or did so very little). Is this the general experience? Has anyone had it really change their pH?

2. Im considering the Dry Start Method. I read where Tom says, Generally this method is most suited for lawns of HC, Glossostigma, Crypts, some stem plants, swords, dwarf clover, dwarf hygro and the like. Ill be using many anubias sp., crypts, swords, moss, HC, (and vals and some stem plants after the tank had been flooded). Any personal experience about using these plants with DSM?

3. After flooding the DSM, what percentage/kind of water changes are needed? I saw where one person was doing 80% every day or two at first, but was using an organic substrate and not using ferts that needed to be cleared out after flooding, so I'm not sure why?

Thank you!

-Michelle

Last edited by a moderator:

Jason King

barrreport.com
Staff member
Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
UK
barrreport.com
Hi Michelle welcome to the Barr report :)

1. I've not used the up aqua substrate so can't comment on that

2. the plants you have listed should be good if keeping the humidity up at all times and as you said wait to flood it before adding the Vallisneria, most stems will be fine.

3. Large 50+℅ water changes are the norm for new tanks and helps with the cycle and the likes of ammonia.

I do daily for the first week then every two days on the second week then twice a week for the next two weeks. After that a 50℅ one a week.

Butterfly Bettas

Junior Poster
Aug 31, 2016
Thanks so much, Jason! I can follow that water change regimen. I'll be adding mulm from the old tank's filter to the new one to help the cycling process along. I'm in no hurry to break down the 28g, so the current fish can stay there as long as they need to until the new tank is full cycled.

I just remembered something else: I'll be using a python for water changes (no way I can haul that many buckets). Concerning the Amquel I use to neutralize chlorine, can I add that to the tank as the new water is being poured in? I read somewhere where it was said the de-chlorinator had to be added to the new water BEFORE it goes in the tank, but without buckets, I don't see how that's possible.

Anyone with any experience with Safe-T-Sorb, I'd love to hear how that went, too, especially with water parameters!

THANKS!

Butterfly Bettas

Junior Poster
Aug 31, 2016
Yep, that's it. Very inexpensive, and it's supposed to hold together fine. It also has a high CEC, so it absorbs the ferts from the water column (after the sediment has reached equilibrium) and holds them for delivery to the plants' root systems. However, it can tank the KH and thereby lower the tank's pH. I'm not sure how much. This is what I've read, anyway. :)