This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

New 100g Setup

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by scottward, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    6:24 AM
    Full PM Box--No Intention to Offend, Be Funny Or Violate Any Other Stupid Rules

Hi Scott,

Trying to respond to your last pm I got:

The following errors occurred with your submission

• scottward has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.”

A 25-watt UV-Sterilizer would be excellent.

The construction of the sterilizer is important since dwell time, proximity and durability are important.

While placing the sterilizer after the filter is a good idea, remember, it will reduce the filter flow. Of course, the reduced flow will increase the effectiveness of the sterilizer.

Biollante

2. scottward

scottward Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Ah thanks for letting me know, I have nuked old messages now.

Thanks for the advice re the uv steriliser.

I'm tossing up between the 25w model or the slightly cheaper lower spec model. From what I've read about uv sterilisers though, bigger is better - but then provided you are meeting the dwell time requirements etc, this is probably to some extent marketing bs. I still meet the requirements with the 15w model. Hmmm. Thoughts?

The Vecton looks like it has two 90 degree bends at the inlet/outlets. Not a good thing in terms of flow. I think the unit allows you to alter these somewhat though, I'll have to check with the manufacturer.

Would running the uv filter when the main lights are off be a good routine? That way, I assume impact on chelated micros would be minimised (because I dose when the lights are on and that's when the plants will be actively sucking up them) So, if my main lights are on 2pm through till 11pm, if I had the uv come on, say, 8am and switch off at 2pm, thus a daily sterilisation period of 6 hours, would that be a good move? If I needed to run it longer, I.e. if a bacterial infection showed up in the tank, I could just have it come on earlier?

Btw - any way I can rename this thread to "New 100g Setup" ????

Scott.

#62 scottward, Jan 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2013
  3. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hey Scott,

Done :)

4. scottward

Local Time:
    Thanks!

Scott.

5. scottward

Local Time:
    Thought I would post a quick photo. Diatoms etc still present, but slowing down. I'm continuing to wipe, water change etc.

On the up side though, as far as algae goes, that's about as bad as it gets at the moment (touch wood).

All plants growing well (just basic plants though).

Spent some time over the weekend figuring out how I will plumb in a UV.

There are only 4 fish in the tank at the moment, 2 blue gouramies and 2 black widows.

Eventually I will stock the tank with a bunch of classic community fish (neons, glowlights, tiger barbs, red platies)... basically just the kind of tank I had when I was a kid but better!

Scott.

Tank.jpg

6. scottward

Local Time:
    I bought a TMC Vecton 600 UV steriliser the other day; I started hooking it up last night.

I will take some photos for anyone that is interested and post them when I have time.

I have mounted the unit underneath my cabinet but have not yet hooked up the plumbing.

A question - the instructions say to use the lower water connections as the unit's intake, and the upper water connection as the unit's outlet. The reason for this is so that any bubbles that might enter the unit are pushed out.

Based on my plumbing it is far easier for me to plumb the unit in the opposite direction.

As far as I can tell, any bubbles of air that enter the unit would simply dissolve after some time anyway? Can anybody see any potential problem here? Is it possible that the bubbles might not dissolve fast enough thus leading to a "hot spot" on the tube which might result in glass breakage?

Not trying to be paranoid, just trying to be smart and think this through carefully.......

Scott.

7. scottward

Local Time:
    Hooked up the UV.

I asked the manufacturer about the flow direction and they said to use the bottom connection as the inlet (to prevent bubbles in the unit etc).

Ok, so I hooked it up like this and I am running it 24/7 for the moment (but will change this to a timer later).

Water went pretty cloudy on the first day that I had it running, it has cleared up now though.

I'm not sure whether it was excess iron in my tank or whether this is faily normal for UV sterilisers....

Will wait and see.

Attached is a photo.

Scott.

DSCN2066.jpg

8. scottward

Local Time:
    Finally picked up a Nupro (Swagelok) B-SS4-A + brass inserts + vernier....should have it sometime in the next few weeks....

I have a feeling the next weakest link in my system might be my Red Sea single stage reg? Gerry, I know you upgraded your reg and it made a big difference....

9. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Made a HUGE difference. Just easier to set and was much more stable. It stays where I put it and the rate seems constant so far as I can tell.

Just a pleasure to use a better reg/nv/etc. Safer too for fish and critters if more stable....

Good pickups.....please save your pennies for a good dual stage...

10. scottward

Local Time:
    What would you recommend? What did you end up getting again?

How's your co2 'consumption' in your 180 now? How long is your bottle lasting between fills?

On a separate note, I'm getting sick of hygro etc, its too hard to keep it looking nice. I'm thinking of changing styles...

11. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    When the cloudiness disappears the Fe will also have disappeared.

12. scottward

Local Time:
    Hi dutchy.

Thanks for your thoughts on this...yeah....that's what I was thinking too.....and basically the cloudiness acts as a kind of iron test kit I suppose! :)

I have since changed the UV to run only 12 hours per day; I now dose the micros + iron just after the UV switches off, so that the plants have a good 12 hours to soak up the iron. No cloudiness anymore and plants look fine.

Scott.

13. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hey,

Well, I got about 7-8 weeks iirc on a 20lb....if that says anything :)

I used a brand new victor dual stage. I now have 3 of them :)

A single stage will work, just have to watch for end of tank dump....that said, it is nice to have the comfort of the dual stage and to know it is new and reliable.

If a plant or scape technique doesn't work for you, change it! Was hard for me to learn and I still fall for it at times. If YOU don't like it, change it lol

It sometimes takes days or weeks for me to decide :)

And it's a 220...I gave the 180 away.....

14. scottward

Local Time:
    Cool, I've since found the build thread and have had a good read through it. Good stuff.

I also read the thread where Tom visited you and said "it takes what it takes" with your CO2 usage. Seems you through it pretty quickly, even though it is a big tank. You don't have any hungry stems gobbling it up though...your tank is mainly hardscape IIRC?