This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Never enough spare c02

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by Gerryd, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    11:36 AM
    Hey all,

Here is an another anecdote relating my issues with c02 :)

I have 3 tanks. The 220 has a 20lb tank and a 20lb spare. The 75 and 57 use a 10lb tank and I have a 5lb spare...

Last Thursday I was prepping for a w/e away and was doing large w/c and lowering the PAR while I was gone just to be safe. I had replaced the 20lb the day before so I knew the 220 was ok. When I checked the 10lbs, one would have lasted maybe the day and the other was not far behind it.

Rather than run out while away, I opted to turn off the c02 and lower the light a bit more, planning to refill Monday when I returned. Of course I brought company back with me from the w/e and my temporary crown fell out on Monday as well. So, no c02 refill Monday. Tue and Wed was busy with work and family :)

Today I finally got them all refilled and hooked back up :)

I think I am going to get two more 20lbs and then will have one for each tank. The smaller tanks should last almost 6 months on a 20lb. Then I would have a 10lb spare for each as well.

The 57 took a hit with some BBA and some melting of some plants but will recover quickly I think/hope.

The 75 with ferns seems okay, but the stauro took a hit just when it was starting to sprout a bit.

So, I think perhaps a 500 lb out on the patio may do it.

Thanks and take care.

Keep those tanks filled!!!!!

2. toads74

toads74 Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    5:36 AM

i was thinking next to the garage so the delivery truck could drop/pick it up for you. :). And a 20 on a changeover unit would do nicely. :)

Nice tanks and videos btw.

- - - Updated - - -

i was thinking next to the garage so the delivery truck could drop/pick it up for you. :). And a 20 on a changeover unit would do nicely. :)

Nice tanks and videos btw.

3. gsjmia

gsjmia Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Gerry, I have 2x20lb tanks for my carbonated soda system and a 10 and a 5 for my tank. The two seperate systems never went empty at the same time and I seemed to be going to the refill place way too often. Plus, I always seemed to have to plan my week around when the fish tank co2 tank was going to go empty.

I am in the middle of tying the 2x20s together and tying both soda and fish tank together using a low pressure (100lb) system to feed both soda system and fish tank.

My friend from Broward Nelson (carbonated beverage distributor) pieced it all together for me.

The same can be done a lot easier for just fish tank.

I think I will be able to go for 8 months between refills, with an manual A/B switch over system over to the 10 lb tank to run for quite a while while I am filling the 2x20lbs-no more rush to refill. Auto switch over is nice, but expensive and not necessary-it is not a surprise when it goes empty.

Its pretty simple and requires a cheap $50 Taprite regulator for each tank you want to daisy chain (add as many tanks as you like), plus a stainless barbed T and some braided vinyl tubing. The cheap regulators reduce down to 100lbs to feed the Victor/solenoid/needle valve. I need 100lbs for the soda system, but if just for fish tank can be reduced even lower to say, 50lbs.

There is a manual switch to a reserve tank which is optional, but will allow me to have a back up for quite a while so I don't have to run out to get refills the day they go empty.

I will save in a lot of trips to the the Deerfield fire extinguisher place.

Since its low pressure, it is super safe.

I plan to take pictures, but let me know if you want to see it.

4. Matt F.

Matt F. Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I was seriously thinking of ordering two 50# tanks from aquarium plants and strapping them to my aquarium stand in case of earthquake. I like the industrial look!

5. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi and thanks, Yes, if I HAD a garage, it would be nice as I live in an apt, thus the patio :) The auto changeover is nice, but at $500 per x 3 tanks, it can get expensive.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi and thanks, Yes, if I HAD a garage, it would be nice as I live in an apt, thus the patio :) The auto changeover is nice, but at $500 per x 3 tanks, it can get expensive.

6. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Greg,

I would be VERY interested in more detail :) I think I get most of it, but some pics would be great...R u such a soda drinker or do you have teenagers? You need more c02 for soda than fish :)

I also use Deerfield. For a 20, 2x10, and a 5 refill, it was $60 and I waited for them. By contrast, the Boca place requires you leave it overnight and the cost is almost double...nice folks but a big contrast in refill time and cost....

Hope all is well with you.

- - - Updated - - -

Greg,

I would be VERY interested in more detail :) I think I get most of it, but some pics would be great...R u such a soda drinker or do you have teenagers? You need more c02 for soda than fish :)

I also use Deerfield. For a 20, 2x10, and a 5 refill, it was $60 and I waited for them. By contrast, the Boca place requires you leave it overnight and the cost is almost double...nice folks but a big contrast in refill time and cost....

Hope all is well with you.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Matt,

Nice idea, but they need to be stainless steel to match your regulator assembly :)

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Matt,

Nice idea, but they need to be stainless steel to match your regulator assembly :)

7. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    A small scale can tell you if the gas tank is getting near empty.
    Use one just a bit larger than the gas tank foot print.

Tare out of the scale, and then subtract 20lbs or whatever the gas tank weight's capacity is.
    Cheaper than autochange overs and less likely to leak.

8. Matt F.

Matt F. Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    The CO2 tank should have the tank's tare weight punched into the aluminum. So for a full tank, figure 20# more. For half a tank, 10#, etc. Good idea with the scale. Simple and it will tell you approximately how much gas you have left.

My current (in-use) 20# aluminum tank's tare weight is: 25.4LB. Add 20LBS, and you have a full weight of 45.4 LBS (or there about).

Not sure if the valve and handle's weight is figured into the tank's tare weight, though...

9. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Tom,

Good idea.....I will advise if I find the right scale to use.

Well, I did a large w/c on both tanks, cleaned the inside glass of GDA and stuff, and trimmed every leaf I could find that had BBA. This had infested the windelov ferns especially. But, new growth had occurred during the no c02 period and that is what I left.

Amazing what a big w/c and some cleaning can do. Tanks look much better than when I first returned :)

Thanks

#9 Gerryd, Aug 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2014
  10. hbosman

hbosman Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I've found that once the tank pressure drops below 500 LBs, that I only have a few days worth of CO2 left. I just refill when the needle drops below 500. Cost wise, I'm not wasting much. A 5Lb lasts me about 5 months on a 57 gallon aquarium.

11. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Gerry, see what the tank, the 120 Gallon looked like after I got back from 10 days away...then in 2 days, it was back to pretty good shape.

Same thing, water changes and good trim/cleaning

It's not magic.

12. Whiskey

Whiskey Member

Local Time:
    Plus the weight of the regulator. It is easier for calculations just to 0 the scale at full weight with everything connected,..

Whiskey

- - - Updated - - -

Plus the weight of the regulator. It is easier for calculations just to 0 the scale at full weight with everything connected,..

Whiskey