Neons

jonathan11

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
I presently have 48 neons, 1 clown loach, numerous red cherry shrimp in a 46 gallon, non CO2 bow front. I'm wondering if I could add more neons to that size tank. Or, could I add some red cherry barbs to the tank, say about 10? Worried the barbs might nail the shrimp, scrap with the neons. Your thoughts, anyone? Thx in advance.

Walter

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
Re: Neons

I'm no expert on fish stocking, but that sounds like a full tank already. The clown loach will grow and grow and grow. So, the neon school seems to just about use up the tanks capacity.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

The loach will eat the shrimp too.

I'd try another fish beisdes the loach if you like the neons.
But you could likely bump things upm to 60 of them, cherrys are fine, they will eat some algae.

Red ark pencils are nicer and red and way cool.
Cost a lot more also.
There are some nicer pencil fish tyou might consider and then add a runner nose pleco, Kuli loaches etc

Regards,
Tom Barr

EssexPete

Prolific Poster
Aug 13, 2006
Billericay, Essex, UK

I can never see the point of Kuli loaches - over the years I've kept them on and off. As soon as they go into the tank they disappear into the gravel, might spot them once every 6 months or so but that's it.

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA

Assuming that loaches are added to a tank both for their antics, where you can see them or for their snail eating habits, what loaches will fill both needs without eating the shrimp? I would love to add a 4 or 5 botia striatus or zipper loaches or yoyo loaches, but do they prey on the shrimp as well as the snails?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

Yep, they will go after the shrimps.

But.....shrimps should eat the left over food, stop over feeding..........
snail population explosions are a direct result of left over fish food, not inherent snail plague issues.

Regards,
Tom Barr