This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Needle valves and bubble rates

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by Jim Miller, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Jim Miller

Jim Miller Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

I'm working on an electromechanical needle valve based on a Clippard Mouse valve. At this point in time and probably forever it's strictly for my own amusement: I like building and tinkering. I figure I need a solenoid valve anyway to turn off CO2 at night, so why not have it perform as a realtime metering device as well. FWIW, the Mouse has been holding 30psi as part of my CO2 leak testing now for several days.

It is a pretty simple device: the valve is periodically opened to permit passage of a tiny amount of CO2, akin to a "bubble", and the frequency of opening is adjusted by a knob, all of this managed by a simple

#1 Jim Miller, Feb 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2011
  2. Matt F.

Matt F. Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

a bubble counter is also a good indicator of co2 system health, ime. It give you some visual control over how much gas is going into your tank. If something is abnormal, then chances are something is wrong with your system (e.g. leak, someone knocked the metering valve, etc.).

keep us posted! :)

3. Jim Miller

Jim Miller Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Belt and suspenders...

Of course there's nothing to say you can't put a bubble counter on anyway!:cool:

Jim

4. Matt F.

Matt F. Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Exactly ;)

I'm a belt and suspenders type of guy! LOL