This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Needle Valve broken! - GLA Primo Reg

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by avbarr11, Jul 11, 2013.

1. avbarr11

avbarr11 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    4:57 AM
    I bought a GLA Primo regulator secondhand, and was just tightening it all up last night in preparation of turning it on and the check valve completely failed where it threads into the needle valve! The metal just snapped, leaving half of the connection still threaded into the needle valve, leaving both of these pieces unusable (just my luck).

I either need to replace these two parts and keep the bubble counter and everything else, or upgrade at this point. What parts should I use? I'm worried about buying a needle valve that won't fit my current system, and I don't want to spend the next few weeks chasing down the proper fittings to attach everything together. I really wanted/needed this running last night!

Here's a picture of the regulator indicating what failed. Any advice?

View attachment 4587

-Alex

2. avbarr11

avbarr11 Junior Poster

Local Time:
  3. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    You should be able to use a square brad or nail, screw extractor at the local hardware store and a drill to back out the broken metal in the valve. I've done this a few times for folks.
    The swagelok will work great.

Valve should be fine.

4. Matt F.

Matt F. Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    You over-torqued the 10-32 fitting on top of the Fabco NV55. If you want to replace it with the NV-55-18, you'll need to make sure the bubble counter you use up top have 1/8"npt fittings, which are MUCH stronger than the Fabco NV55's 10-32 fittings.

You can remove the broken threads, (method Tom mentioned) , or upgrade to 1/8" npt and be done with 10-32 fittings. 10-32s SUCK!

5. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    10-32 suck, I agree 100%.

6. Alyssa

Alyssa Junior Poster

Local Time:
    8:57 PM
    Oh no! That sucks! No bueno! :(

7. avbarr11

avbarr11 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Ok, now I'm a little more confused. So I should upgrade to the Fabco NV 55-18 and still get a 1/8 NPT male to male check valve?

Also, what the heck is with swagelok and clippard's shipping prices? They are truely outrageous. I am pretty frustrated that I'm having SUCH a hard time finding any alternatives to these two. I've been ebaying for weeks, trying to find a solution that won't break the bank, and I feel like as soon as I find a reasonably priced check valve they want to get me with the shipping. Are there any local dealers who have these sorts of items?

8. Asmack Arabia

Asmack Arabia Banned

Local Time:
    hello avbarr11,

i had the same problem with swagelok when i was building my own reg. amazon solved my problem. check the parker brand. i copy/paste the general description of the swagelok fittings from their site to the amazon search bar and for sure you'll find the substitutes. and considering i am here in saudi arabia, i am really thankful that amazon even have those.

9. Matt F.

Matt F. Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    The fact of the matter is fabco and Ideal needle valves work as they are suppose to. If you want to try some other type of metering valve, do so at your own risk. They may or may not have the right flow rate and adjustability. Clippard parts suck. I wouldn't waste my money on that junk. Did when I first started out, then quickly found out that nothing replaces quality in the long run. I have since gone with Swagelok exclusively. You're paying for peace of mind and a one-time build. If you take "good enough for now" shortcuts, then you'll have a failure and have to rebuild later on (losing fish, shrimp, and plants later on). If you have any problem, I can order the parts you need, then ship them to you once they arrive. The check valve may have a lead time.

FWIW, Nupro and parker are alternatives, but their level of finish are second to Swagelok components. This doesn't matter as much if you need NPT pipe fittings, but for check valves, needle valves, and other functional components, it does make a difference. I've had Nupro check valves fail. Can't say the same for Swagelok branded check valves. Like camera equipment, you get what you pay for.

#9 Matt F., Jul 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2013
  10. Alyssa

Alyssa Junior Poster

Local Time:
    8:57 PM
    Well, I can offer to be a "relay pony" - I go to the bay area for aquarium meetings all the time and so I'm happy to cart stuff back and forth from like Sacramento/Woodland/Davis (and sometimes Stockton if a trip coincides with me visiting my dad) to the Bay/San Jose regions and vice versa.

I figure if I'm already burning the gas, I can make it worth it even more to help folks I know save on shipping and and have it hand delivered. Just one of my ways that I like to "pay it forward". :)

So you could save on shipping from Matt too, if I wind up picking it up and then carting it back to Davis. Just a thought! Shipping costs can highly suck!

11. avbarr11

avbarr11 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks everyone for your support and all the info! This is an amazing forum. Matt, I might just take you up on your offer to include that check valve in your next order from Swagelok, but I am getting pretty desperate to get this up and running ASAP! I have one more question before I take the plunge. If I'm already upgrading to the Fabco NV55-18 and paying for shipping for that, what's their check valve like? I haven't been able to find very much feedback on it.

Could I go with this one, combine shipping costs, and save you the trouble and me the wait?

http://store.fabco-air.com/proddetail.php?prod=CV