This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Needing Help Growing Plants Successfully

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by #1 Plant Boy, Sep 6, 2018.

1. #1 Plant Boy

#1 Plant Boy New Member

Local Time:
    9:51 PM
    I have been in the hobby for awhile. But I am unsure with what is causing the plant growth in my year old planted 55 gallon aquarium to be poor . Been trying different things to help with the plant growth but doesn't result in good plant growth. Here are the details of the aquarium

55 gallon

Lighting: 45" Fluval' plant 2.0

Par level 70 at substrate

Lighting period: 8 hours

Substrate: Turface' pro league

Fertilizer: nilocG' thrive plus liquid and aquarium plants.com root tabs

Dosing: 3 pumps twice a week

: Co2' automated with ph controllerand runs into a
    external reactor.

Co2' 30ppm tested by ph test and kh test then using c02 chart

Ph:6.6

Kh:4

Gh:5

Nitrates: 30 ppm

Plants: Hadi' red pearl, jungle val, cryptocoryne' undulata, juncus' repens', micro chain sword, Christmas moss,amazon frog bite.

Jungle val is currently melting along with the cryptocoryne undulata. The only thing I can think of that made them melt is adding hydrogen provide to kill the black beard algae on the micro swords. There is one Hadi red sword that is staying small and not growing tall. It produces new leaves but stays small. It is in the middle of the 2 swords. All the swords look like they have either nitrogen defiency or chlorosis.Juncus repens is not growing.

All of my plants are low lights plants. Is the par' at 70 to much for them? Any advice on what I can change? Is there a better way to distribute c02 then a reactor? Should I be using a ph controller?

Thanks I'm advance

20180822_151321.jpg

20180822_151403.jpg

20180822_151419.jpg

20180822_151435.jpg

2. rajkm

rajkm Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    5:51 AM
    When did you test your KH and PH?
    Turface usually will lower KH when new and also pull other nutrients.
    If those values are before WC, then I would cut my dosing in half. 30ppm residual is a lot.

Also I do not think you have enough CO2. 6.6 PH with 4KH is borderline 30ppm.
    I would definitely check KH before WC to see how much residual KH is left.
    I would now control CO2 using ph controller. Instead target a 1-1.2 ph drop from degassed water and then keep that injection rate static. And only use ph controller to monitor.

Tags: