This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Need suggestions for high light mid-ground plants, si vous plait

Discussion in 'Aquascaping' started by burr740, Apr 3, 2015.

1. burr740

burr740 Micros Spiller
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    5:44 PM
    Looking for something cool to go in place of these two crypts (red arrows). They're growing flat as a pancake, due to high light I suppose.

[​IMG]

75 gal tank

Pressurized CO2

EI

Light is a four bulb T5HO hydroponic unit, 6" off the surface. Im running one 28w actinic just to cut down the par a little bit. Bulbs are, front to back:

Generic 6500K

Actinic

3000K Plantmax hydroponic

ZooMed Ultra

[​IMG]

Front left is P helferi, only a few days old (topfin cultures)

[​IMG]

Right side

[​IMG]

Looking for plant suggestions that would offer a nice contrast and also work well with my current set-up. Any other thoughts or suggestions are more than welcome.

TIA

#1 burr740, Apr 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2015
  2. Christophe

Christophe Subscriber
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    11:44 PM
    I like blyxa japonica in that sort of placement myself.

3. Kathy Yata

Kathy Yata Junior Poster

Local Time:
    11:44 PM
    I like Blyxa too.

Bet you the crypt will start standing up once it gets a few whorls of leaves on it though. Not sure just what my big red crypt is but it stayed 6" tall for a decade, grew flat to the substrate during a tank overhaul when it came back from the roots then grew 18" tall for a couple years and at the moment seems to be shrinking back possibly because I am using full power of the LED unit for a peak period and is only 12" tall right now.

4. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    3:44 PM
    syngonanthus rio uaupes or eriocaulon king crimson, my suggestions...

5. burr740

burr740 Micros Spiller
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Ive thought about some blyxia. Not ure it would contrast well enough with the PH, perhaps on the right side though, behind the stauro, which I plan to keep pruned short.

As for the crypt, I may give the red wendtii on the left side more time. Already pruned one round of leaves that was large and more green. It's only been there a couple of months. I'd really like to do something different on the right though.

#5 burr740, Apr 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2015
  6. burr740

burr740 Micros Spiller
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Thanks. That syno is an intriguing plant. I've been thinking about some variety of erio but none really seem tall enough. I have no esp with any of them though, so I could be wrong in that assumption. Probably would've done some blood vomit in place of the compact hygro...and may do that eventually regardless, it's just what I had on hand at the time.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. keep them coming please

7. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    In place of your compact hygro, I would think blood vomit would be too small

You should try out erio compressum as a decent starter erio in the places you want to fill it gets pretty good size.

8. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    On a side note, I'm really liking your plant growth, especially the crypt green gecko is getting to where its supposed to look as well your moss so short...limnophila aromatica looks real strong and thick as well

9. burr740

burr740 Micros Spiller
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Thanks. Yeah Im liking that front most crypt, the one between the fork in the dw. I have tons of that and also the red in another tank. Aside from that one, they just arent doing what I'd like them to do here, so far. This scape is about 9 weeks old. Ive been aggressively pruning all the stems (and the moss) to keep them low and compact....practicing really.

#9 burr740, Apr 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2015