This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need suggestion on carpet plant + C02 questions

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by PunkRotten, Feb 19, 2011.

1. PunkRotten

PunkRotten Junior Poster

Hello,

So I got a 10 and 29 gallon planted tank. I wish to have a lawn in these tanks. Right now I have dwarf hairgrass in both tanks and I have been dosing excel. For months now it has not been growing well. It grows a little in the 10 gallon but not in the 29. So I was looking for an easier plant.

Heres the stats on my tanks:

10 gallon

(2) Two GE 15 watt CFL bulbs (both 6500K), lights on a timer for 8 Hrs daily
    Eco complete substrate
    Daily excel dosing (2x recommended dose)
    Weekly fert dosing of potassium nitrate, mono potassium phosphate, and seachem equilibrium (which is a powder that contains iron, potassium, calcium, magnesium, manganese etc)

Weekly water changes of 25-30%

Plants: Dwarf hairgrass, rotala indica, dwarf sag, crypts, java fern, java moss on wood

Fish: 5 neon tetras, 1 female betta, 3 ottos

29 gallon

Coralife dual T5NO bulbs (6500K, and colormax bulb), lights on a timer for 9 Hrs daily

Eco complete substrate mixed with regular play sand
    Daily excel dosing (2x recommended dose)
    Same fert dosing schedule as 10 gallon tank, but higher amounts
    Same water change schedule as 10 gallon

Plants: Dwarf hairgrass, rotala indica, crypts, java fern, java moss on wood, dwarf lily, wisteria

Livestock: Few CPO's, and 4 ottos

What would be a good carpet plant and could I do without C02? If I should add C02, what do you recommend? DIY or a cheap kit like around $40 or under?

2. Matt F.

Matt F. Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

hairgrass is about as easy as it gets when it comes to foreground plants...at least in my experience.
    That said, equilibrium isn't a micro suppliment per say. Sure it has some elements, but it's my understanding that equilibrium is mostly potassium sulfate (gh booster). You need micros, too.