This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Need some advice on my non co2 dosing

Discussion in 'Estimative Index' started by BradH, Dec 30, 2010.

1. BradH

BradH Junior Poster

Local Time:
    8:52 AM
    I was using the non co2 dosing method per the sticky. I was using seachem equilibrium and seachem NPK liquids until they run out and I'll switch to dry ferts. However, my main concern is the equilibrium. My tap gh is 7 and it's gone up to 12 in my tank from dosing. I quit dosing the equilibrium until I find out why it's building up and not being used by the plants. Any thoughts or advice? I used the amounts given in the sticky and didn't over dose or anything. Also, I haven't dosed in a while and my gh is still at 12. I just recently added a lot of jungle vals and frogbit, so I'm hoping they will use some of it up.

2. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Water Change?

Hi,

Any new hardscape, rocks, wood, anything changing? :confused:

Best bet to lower the general hardness would be a couple of large (50% +) water changes. ;)

In an of itself 12-dGH is not usually a problem. :)

Biollante

3. BradH

BradH Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I have had the tank setup for 2 years and haven't changed anything. However, I just now tested the gh back in November. I had never tested it before. I'm just wondering if maybe I shouldn't be dosing the Equilibrium anymore and just dose some flourish instead.

4. Biollante

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    If It Ain't Broke... Well You Aren't Trying

Hi,

If there are no other problems or indications, I would be reluctant to make changes based on a single test, rather random at that, no baseline.:gw

If things are working and you are happy, I see no reason to change anything. :)

Biollante

5. BradH

BradH Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Well, I would agree, but I don't want to keep adding it as my dosing routine and have the gh go up to some crazy high amount. I think I will skip the Equilibrium for now and just Flourish instead, along with N, P, and K.

6. Biollante

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Still Not Clear...

Hi,

I am still unclear how you “know” that your GH level is heading up to some ridiculous level and what was your reason for using Equilibrium.:confused:

Equilibrium is basically a GH booster, used to reconstitute reverse osmosis or deionized water. :) Flourish is different, it is a micronutrient concoction, the compliment to macronutrients.

Which is kind of my round about way of asking in a specific kind of way what your view of EI dosing is? :)

Biollante

7. BradH

BradH Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I know it's heading up because I tested it with a gh test kit. My tap water has a gh of 7 and the water in my tank is gh 12. I was using it per this thread http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/2817-Non-CO2-methods

Where Tom states the following
    "While trace mixes can be added, I decided to use SeaChem Equlibrium instead.
    It has Fe and Mn as well as Ca/K/Mg/SO4.
    I will add about 1/4 teaspoon per 20 gal tank once every week or two.
    This greatly enhances the growth of the plants.
    I also will add about 1/8" and 1/32" teaspoon of KNO3 and KH2PO4 respectively once a week or two."

When I realized that my gh was going up, I switched to Flourish for my micros.