This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Need some advice/help

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by PlantedBliss, Dec 12, 2013.

1. PlantedBliss

PlantedBliss Junior Poster

Local Time:
    9:58 AM
    So I have a 40 gallon planted tank which has been running for almost a year. I decided to get new t5 lights in my 36" 4 bulb fixture. It originally had 4x 6700k lights. I just changed it to 2x10k lights and 2xpink flora lights. Now for my question, before the change of lights I did have a minor GSA problem only on my back glass pane or the aquarium but only there. Now after the light change it seems the GSA is on every pane of glass and it seems I'm starting to get a little bit of GDA too. I did have the lights on for 8 hours, but I've now cut back to 6 hours and have been dosing phosphates and upping my co2 to counter the GSA. Could the new pink flora or 10k lights be causing the algae to explode? Or am I missing something here? I seemed to have the GSA under control on the back pane, but it seems I've lost control of it.

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Just clean things more often and do good sized water changes, the level you do the water changes will limit the GSA.
    Clean off the algae as much as you can(every 2-3 days), CO2 and CO2 and CO2.

PO4 will help, but it comes back to good CO2.
    4x39W is a lot of light on 40 Gallon also.
    I use 6x39 on my 70 Gallon and the hood is about 16" above the tank and I run the lights at 35% full power.

3. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Just clean things more often and do good sized water changes, the level you do the water changes will limit the GSA.
    Clean off the algae as much as you can(every 2-3 days), CO2 and CO2 and CO2.

PO4 will help, but it comes back to good CO2.
    4x39W is a lot of light on 40 Gallon also.
    I use 6x39 on my 70 Gallon and the hood is about 16" above the tank and I run the lights at 35% full power.