This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Need Roi Mineral Help

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by BettaBrooke, Sep 13, 2018.

1. BettaBrooke

BettaBrooke New Member

Local Time:
    12:28 PM
    Hello!

I'm new to this forum, but I wanted to clear a few concerns of mine up before I begin cycling my tank. I have been researching how to add minerals back to ROI water properly, what products to use, and how much to use, but it never seems like I can get a straight answer, so hopefully some of you will be able to help.

I currently go to college, but my hometown uses well water, which I've read can have a negative impact on your fish. I used to own a crowntail betta, but could never get my water parameters under control and in a suitable range, so he unfortunately passed away. I tried Indian Almond Leaves, CaribSea, live plants, and aeration, but nothing ever helped. Due to this, I decided to invest in a ROI system to use for when I decide to purchase another betta. After researching online, I read that the use of Seachem Equilibrium, Seachem Acid Buffer, and Seachem Alkaline Buffer together will restore all of the minerals needed in your water after using a ROI system. I also purchased Nutritrace CSM + B because I read that those micro elements are needed for a planted aquarium.

I know many suggest just adding tap water to the ROI water to restore the minerals needed, but I do not feel comfortable doing this because of what happened with my past betta and the well water. My hometown's well water was extremely hard, too alkaline, and contained heavy metals that never seemed to go away despite my use of water conditioner. I also know many aquarists say, "Your fish will adjust to the levels of your water naturally," but I'm the kind of fish owner who likes to give my fish what they would prefer in their natural environments. I'm aware I need more supplies for a healthy planted aquarium, like a CO2 system; I just haven't gotten around to purchasing it yet, and I want to cycle my tank first before worrying about that.

I guess my questions are: Has anyone had success with using these Seachem products together in ROI water? Do they keep the water levels stable enough until a weekly water change? Is there another substance I should be adding? How much of these substances should I be adding if I plan to use a 10 gallon aquarium? What levels should I keep my tank when housing a betta? I already know you ideally want 78 degrees F, pH = 7, ammonia = 0 ppm, nitrites = 0 ppm, and nitrates <20 ppm, but what about things like GH, KH, K, Ca, and other trace elements? I can't seem to find any concrete answers on those things.

Any help and advice would be appreciated!

2. Phishless

Phishless Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    1:28 PM
    I use GH Booster from NilocG.com
    Colin also sells EI fert package thay contains CSM+B
    For KH I use baking soda to reach 1 KH.

Look up ideal water parameters for a betta and you could match exactly.

I am mostly "Phishless"

3. rajkm

rajkm Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    6:28 PM
    I use used GLA GH Booster, Seachem Equilibrium and Secheam replenish.
    I have settled on using Equilibrium just because it doesn’t clump like GH Booster and is not watered down replenish.

Usually all of them add Calcium and Magnesium. Some add sodium for general use conditioner, others have potassium, Manganese and iron

Just follow the directions for target GH levels.

For KH I use Seachem Acid buffer.