Need new method of CO2 diffusion

BriDroid

Prolific Poster
Dec 28, 2012
I'm currently using an inline atomizer. My plants are growing well, but my water always looks cloudy since it's full of microbubbles. I've used external Grigg reactors before but they really cut down the flow from my canister.

I've seen info on Tom's internal reactor and I like the idea of it not depending on my canister for flow.

Would one of these be enough to distribute CO2 throughout a 4 foot tank?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Yes, as long as the some of the filter outflow heads under the bottom. Since you are adding something inside the tank, a simple external CO2 reactor might be better, a powerhead with the CO2 going in, some bioballs and the tubing in/out.

BriDroid

Prolific Poster
Dec 28, 2012
Thanks for the advice Tom. I just built one of your external venturi reactors. I was even able to find some clear sch40 2" PVC. It wasn't cheap, but worth it in my opinion. The PVC is exactly 12".

I'm going to try and run it with a Maxi-Jet 900 that I have laying around. I'll order a Rio 180 if I need to.

I put a couple of bioballs in it and also glued in a small 90 inside the top to create a vortex inside the reactor. The venturi tube is just below the white coupling. Hopefully it's down far enough? I ran the CO2 close to the bottom so I can use this as a sort of bubble counter as well.

Hopefully I can get this hooked up tomorrow. Here are a couple of pics. Total cost was about $25. The 12" piece of PVC was $19.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
That will work fine and handle much more flow than the AM1000.

BriDroid

Prolific Poster
Dec 28, 2012
This has something similar that I referred to as a venturi in my post. In the first pic, you can just see the end of a small rigid tube. Once the gas bubble gets to that point, the pump will begin sucking gas out and reinjecting via the pumps venturi.

Just to update...

This thing works awesome! I ended up installing it inline with my Eheim 2236. The output of the filter is very slightly affected, but not to bad. Only problem is that I'm not using the venturi loop. I can't figure out a way to do it on the canister?????? I tried to make a little adapter, but all it did was leak really bad.

Even without it, I'm getting 100% CO2 delusion. The CO2 shuts off 30 minutes before the lights. There is still about 1" of air in the top of the reactor. By morning, it's all gone and 100% full of water.

Thanks for the great design Tom. I'm very happy with it.

BTW - The clear PVC is a nice touch, no need for an extra bubble counter ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Gilogo

Junior Poster
Jul 31, 2012
Modesto, CA 95350
where did you

Hello Mr. BriDroid,
where did you purchased the clear PVC pipe?
How big is your tank?
Do you count bubbles per minute, drop checker? how do you monitor CO2 quantity in tank?

I have a 180 gallons and I am having a hard time keeping CO2 stable.
I hope you do not mind me asking all of those questions and please forgive my poor English.
Sincerely,

Gilberto.

BriDroid

Prolific Poster
Dec 28, 2012
Gilogo;118389 said:
Hello Mr. BriDroid,
where did you purchased the clear PVC pipe?
How big is your tank?
Do you count bubbles per minute, drop checker? how do you monitor CO2 quantity in tank?

I have a 180 gallons and I am having a hard time keeping CO2 stable.
I hope you do not mind me asking all of those questions and please forgive my poor English.
Sincerely,

Gilberto.

I found the clear PVC at one of those small Mom and Pop True Value Hardware Stores. It wasn't cheap, $19 a foot but worth it if you ask me!

I'm using a drop checker and counting bubbles per minute.

I'm pushing about 3 bubbles per minute and my drop checker stays lime green from about 2 hours after the CO2 turns on and stays that same color all day. I have the CO2 come on 2 hours before the lights and off 1 hour before the lights go off. I'm still not using the venturi feature since I'm just inline with my canister filter. It works very well without the venturi though. Probably even better with it, but good enough for now.

Gilogo

Junior Poster
Jul 31, 2012
Modesto, CA 95350
Thank you!

BriDroid;118395 said:
I found the clear PVC at one of those small Mom and Pop True Value Hardware Stores. It wasn't cheap, $19 a foot but worth it if you ask me!

I'm pushing about 3 bubbles per minute and my drop checker stays lime green from about 2 hours after the CO2 turns on and stays that same color all day. I have the CO2 come on 2 hours before the lights and off 1 hour before the lights go off. I'm still not using the venturi feature since I'm just inline with my canister filter. It works very well without the venturi though. Probably even better with it, but good enough for now.

I just want to say Thank you for answering my questions, your help is deeply appreciated!

geesantoz

Junior Poster
Apr 1, 2013
Bay Area, CA
BriDroid;118395 said:

"3 bubbles per minute" ... is it second or minute ? how big is your tank ?