"Need" high light for red plants? 1.8W/gal, see what you think

joyban

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 18, 2005
New Delhi, India
@ shoggoth43
I think the PAR they are refering to is " Parabolic Aluminized Reflector" which is actually the description of the lamp or bulb that goes inside a PAR can.The number beside PAR is a measurement that describes the diameter of the PAR lamp or bulb. To figure out the diameter, divide the number next to PAR by eight. For example, if you have a PAR20, divide 20 by 8 and you will have an 2.5-inch diameter lamp.The diameter of the PAR lamp is useful to know when ordering a replacement lamp.

So this PAR " Parabolic Aluminized Reflector" is not same as "Photosynthetically Active Radiation" which we are really intrested in.

Regards

Sujoy

So this PAR is

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
You may be right on that. However, on the nano-reef site I think evil66 ( might be someone else ) has some repackaged ones for sale with different LEDs that seem to have similar PAR numbers which ARE the actual PAR that we're interested which got me thinking that maybe they had actually bothered to include "our" PAR numbers. If that's not the case that's somewhat disappointing since that would have actually been useful. In any event I'm not dropping 40+$ on an LED light bulb.

-
S

joyban;44647 said:
@ shoggoth43
I think the PAR they are refering to is " Parabolic Aluminized Reflector" which is actually the description of the lamp or bulb that goes inside a PAR can.The number beside PAR is a measurement that describes the diameter of the PAR lamp or bulb. To figure out the diameter, divide the number next to PAR by eight. For example, if you have a PAR20, divide 20 by 8 and you will have an 2.5-inch diameter lamp.The diameter of the PAR lamp is useful to know when ordering a replacement lamp.

So this PAR " Parabolic Aluminized Reflector" is not same as "Photosynthetically Active Radiation" which we are really intrested in.

Regards

Sujoy

So this PAR is

jonny_ftm

Guru Class Expert
Mar 5, 2009
Here's now a shot of my R. Wallichii, 11W PLL on a 12gal (0.9wpg)!!!

The tips getting close to surface become red. They are in the path of filter output with CO2 mist, but indeed, the bottom of these plants could be getting the lowest CO2 in tank because they are growing between eleocharis jungle