Need help with my EI dosing routine

marti

Junior Poster
Jul 6, 2007
Hi,

I have a problem related to macro dosing. But first let me tell you something about my tank:
- tank is about 6 month old, it has the following dimensions (cm): 100x40x40
- lights: 4 x 39 w (T5 fluorescent bulbs - Osram 865) about 10h/day;
- CO2 about 2-3 bouble/second;
- pH around 6.8.
- temperature ~25 Celsius degrees.
- fertilization with microelements is assured by JBL fert. system (substrate, daily and weekly liquid ferts);
- list of the plants: micrantemum micranthemoides, anubias nana, limnophila aromatica, HC, blyxa japonica, pogostemon helferi, glossostiga elatinoides, micranthemum umbrosum.

Now, let's get to the problem:

for fertilization with macroelements I'm using an NPK in an estimated Index regime.
The solution has the following characteristics: for each mll I add in my water I increase the concentration of macroelements with: 1ppm NO3, 0.1 ppm PO4 and 1.33 ppm K.
For a few months now, I'm adding weekly 40 mll solution, in my calculations this addition stabilizes concentrations, over time, at these levels:
- 52 ppm NO3 (at a presumed uptake of 28 ppm / week)
- 78-79 ppm K (at an assumed uptake of 28 ppm / week)
- 5,2-5,3 ppm PO4 (at a presumed uptake of 2.8 ppm / week).

THe question(s):
- are this calculations OK? If not, what is the mistake? what would be the correct weekly addition in order to maintain about 30 ppm of K and NO3 whilst PO4 is maintained around 4-5 PPM?
- if my math is not wrong, and the values are correct, altough my fishes and my plants are OK, isn't wise to dim the concentration to about 30 ppm of K and NO3 whilst PO4 is maintained to this value (I have some GSA problems too)?

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Lighting Masquerading As A CO2 Problem

Hi,

Directly it sounds like a CO2 problem more than anything else. If believed that I would gently raise the CO2 and/or make sure your circulation is adequate.;)

In reality I think it is just plain too much light. I think the simple answer with the least fooling around would be to reduce the lighting. If it were me, I would cut the lighting in half. ;)

Biollante

marti

Junior Poster
Jul 6, 2007
I don't understand the answer....if my thread is posted on a wrong section of the forum, I'm asking an admin to move the thread in a sectioin where it belongs. Thanx

Last edited by a moderator:

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Sorry If I Was Unclear

marti;45609 said:
I don't understand the answer....if my thread is posted on a wrong section of the forum, Iţm asking an admin to move the thread in a sectioin where it belongs. Thanx

Hi,

I think your post is in as good of a place as any.:)

My apologies for being unclear. :eek:

I think your math is fine, never used JBL, do not know, do not really care, I think your fert routine sounds fine.:)

Personally, based on my experience, I would have two choices. :)

Choice one try to increase CO2 in solution, or improve the circulation to make sure it is appropriately distributed.;)

Choice two decrease the lighting, I thought I was pretty clear, I would cut the lighting in half. Cutting the light is the cheapest and easiest route. ;)

I think I know what you wanted to hear, but you asked, I answered, as honestly as I could, based on my experience. :gw

Biollante