This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Need help with my EI dosing routine

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plant Fertilization' started by marti, Jan 19, 2010.

1. marti

marti Junior Poster

Local Time:
    8:27 PM
    Hi,

I have a problem related to macro dosing. But first let me tell you something about my tank:
    - tank is about 6 month old, it has the following dimensions (cm): 100x40x40
    - lights: 4 x 39 w (T5 fluorescent bulbs - Osram 865) about 10h/day;
    - CO2 about 2-3 bouble/second;
    - pH around 6.8.
    - temperature ~25 Celsius degrees.
    - fertilization with microelements is assured by JBL fert. system (substrate, daily and weekly liquid ferts);
    - list of the plants: micrantemum micranthemoides, anubias nana, limnophila aromatica, HC, blyxa japonica, pogostemon helferi, glossostiga elatinoides, micranthemum umbrosum.

Now, let's get to the problem:

for fertilization with macroelements I'm using an NPK in an estimated Index regime.
    The solution has the following characteristics: for each mll I add in my water I increase the concentration of macroelements with: 1ppm NO3, 0.1 ppm PO4 and 1.33 ppm K.
    For a few months now, I'm adding weekly 40 mll solution, in my calculations this addition stabilizes concentrations, over time, at these levels:
    - 52 ppm NO3 (at a presumed uptake of 28 ppm / week)
    - 78-79 ppm K (at an assumed uptake of 28 ppm / week)
    - 5,2-5,3 ppm PO4 (at a presumed uptake of 2.8 ppm / week).

THe question(s):
    - are this calculations OK? If not, what is the mistake? what would be the correct weekly addition in order to maintain about 30 ppm of K and NO3 whilst PO4 is maintained around 4-5 PPM?
    - if my math is not wrong, and the values are correct, altough my fishes and my plants are OK, isn't wise to dim the concentration to about 30 ppm of K and NO3 whilst PO4 is maintained to this value (I have some GSA problems too)?

2. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Lighting Masquerading As A CO2 Problem

Hi,

Directly it sounds like a CO2 problem more than anything else. If believed that I would gently raise the CO2 and/or make sure your circulation is adequate.;)

In reality I think it is just plain too much light. I think the simple answer with the least fooling around would be to reduce the lighting. If it were me, I would cut the lighting in half. ;)

Biollante

3. marti

marti Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I don't understand the answer....if my thread is posted on a wrong section of the forum, I'm asking an admin to move the thread in a sectioin where it belongs. Thanx

#3 marti, Jan 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2010
  4. Biollante

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Sorry If I Was Unclear

Hi,

I think your post is in as good of a place as any.:)

My apologies for being unclear. :eek:

I think your math is fine, never used JBL, do not know, do not really care, I think your fert routine sounds fine.:)

Personally, based on my experience, I would have two choices. :)

Choice one try to increase CO2 in solution, or improve the circulation to make sure it is appropriately distributed.;)

Choice two decrease the lighting, I thought I was pretty clear, I would cut the lighting in half. Cutting the light is the cheapest and easiest route. ;)

I think I know what you wanted to hear, but you asked, I answered, as honestly as I could, based on my experience. :gw

Biollante

5. marti

marti Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I got it now, but there's no need for you to appologize. :)

6. Biollante

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi,

Sometimes I get ahead of myself. :eek:

Also, mine is but one opinion based on my experience.:cool:

Biollante