Need Help with limited availability of supplies

hassan.nabeel

Junior Poster
May 15, 2017
Hello to all experienced members of this forum. A little background about my experience and situation. I am fairly new to aquatic tanks. I have a non-planted 90 gallon (48x24x18 inches) tank since 2 years. I am new to this site but I have been silent reader of plantedtank.net since last 2 years.

Planted tanks are very uncommon in my country, Pakistan. The only aquatic plants I can buy are Amazon swords and Anubias nana. Very occasionally we get some carpet plants from Thailand. Chemical of N, P, K are not available or sold separately due to risk of being used in explosives. My only option is to either use dirted tank OR use growmore water soluble fertilization (http://www.growmore.com/products/type/water-soluble-fertilizer.html). I am using 20 20 20 solution as thats the only product available here

These beautiful lush green planted tanks were becoming an obsession for me. So just to experiment what I can manage in this limited availability of things, I finally ordered some items from AliExpress. I am not too optimistic that things will turn out good but I need help like Tips and suggestions to make this into something.

I received following items about 2 months ago.

1 - Aquatic plant seeds (some sort of grass seeds and probably glosso).

2 - Chichiros 45cm light

3 - DIY CO2 setup

Lighting on below setup is a 13 watt Philips 6500K LED bulb. Chichiros will be used on 10 Gallon setup coming below.

Day 0:

I setup a small 2-3 gallon bowl to test these seeds about 1 month ago. Here are its results. I am still not sure if these plants are aquatic or not. Some unknown sand at the base, then a layer of organic potting soil (some brand imported from UK) then some more sand.

Dry Start Stage:

Misting water two times a day. Progress after 4 days.

Submerged at 7-8 days:

DIY CO2 was added on and off after submerged. Daily water changes around 30% with little bit of growmore fertilization every 2-3 days.

After 3 weeks of submerged growth:

Plant leaves have changed its shape. Probably changing from emersed to submerged growth.

QUESTIONS

- Plants seem to be growing but their colors are very light green. Is this due to light? color spectrum or fertilization?

- Water turns little green on the day I add growmore fertilization. I am doing daily water changes but fertilization is added on 3rd day. Is it due to the ratio I am using 20:20:20 NPK and micro as:

- I added a tiger lotus in this tank which has been with me since a year. When added, it started growing new leaves but leaves are a little twisted and small in size.

- I don't have any plans of fish in this aquarium. But I have just started the 10Gallon tank using similar setup which I plan on adding fish in a month or two. Will my fertilization be hazardous to fish health? I don't have access to test kits. They are not available on Aliexpress. Amazon doesn't ship to my country :( .

Thanks

Hassan

Reactions: 2 people

hassan.nabeel

Junior Poster
May 15, 2017
Here are some photos of my 10 Gallon setup that I dry started and just filled 2 days ago.

IMG_20170511_185617.jpeg

IMG_20170514_174219.jpeg

IMG_20170511_185751.jpeg

IMG_20170512_183952.jpeg

DutchMuch

Junior Poster
Mar 8, 2017
Arkansas
Oh btw sounds like some sort of deficiency's you have, the light green, twisted leaves... Try this rotalabutterfly.com

hassan.nabeel

Junior Poster
May 15, 2017
DutchMuch said:
Oh btw sounds like some sort of deficiency's you have, the light green, twisted leaves... Try this rotalabutterfly.com

Thanks for the nice words. They are really encouraging. I am going to move tiger lotus to my 10 gallon setup and see how things turn out in it. CO2 has been moved from smaller bowl to this new setup.

Having too much CO2 in plants only tank have any side effects? I think I have a good light and my CO2 is high. I turn on CO2 and lights in evening when I am back at home and turn off while going out in the morning. In mornings, I can see thousands of small bubbles of CO2 stuck on the surface of water. It is definitely some sort of nutrient deficiency.

DutchMuch

Junior Poster
Mar 8, 2017
Arkansas
sure its co2 bubbles and not oxygen from the plants photosynthesizing? Twisted leaves may be a calcium deficiency or mg, im not exactly the expert here but at least I think im close lol do forgive me if I turn out wrong, hopefully someone else chimes in. Can you describe further what the plants look like? pinholes, burnt edges, etc etc coloration... btw plant in the last pic in the first post, looks like UG to me, if you didn't know that lol

Last edited by a moderator:

hassan.nabeel

Junior Poster
May 15, 2017
Little update Today. 10 Gallon seems to be doing well now. Water is not as cloudy as before. What are good schooling fish options for this size (17x12x12 inch)? I am going to add fish after about 2 weeks.

Still have some questions:

- How long does it take for fertilization to reflect on plants? Like if there is any deficiency, is it visible after 2-3 days or weeks?

- Not sure what is the source of N in GrowMore products. Sent them an email months ago but didn't receive any reply. Trying to arrange for API freshwater testing kit from Thailand.

- Is Too Much CO2 hazardous to plants? I don't think I can have too much CO2 dissolved in water. If we have proper surface agitation, can CO2 still kill fish?

Thanks in advance.

34728175895_3cd946b0f1_c.jpg