Need Help With Lighting

Tutmose

Sep 7, 2018
Usa
Greetings. I am new to this site. I have a 110 gal tall freshwater tank. I made a few mistakes but I think I am slowly getting on a right path. I have a few questions:

1. Lighting: I have two fluval aquasky LED lights, each 35 watt, running the entire length of the tank. Is it adequate considering my tank dimensions in inches: length 48, height 29, depth 18. Substrate depth about 2 inches. Lights sit on the top of the glass. Lighting are on for 6 hrs a day.

2. EI: I use dry ferts 1-2 times a week using your recs for low tech excel tank with weekly 50% water change. I also introduced around 20 florish tabs into substrate when I started planting since I think I over-vaccumed when I just had plastic plants and fish. I have "easy" plants - anubias, java fern, swords, lily, horwort, anacharis, creeping charlie, fox tail, crypts. I used dry CSM-B once, at half recommended dose, instead of flourush compr and the next day my anubias root system, fox tail and hornwort started turning bronze. I am checking my water parameters and it seems to be ok: GH - 6, KH -3, Nitrates 20-30, Phosphates 4-5, ph 7.0, zero nitrites and zero ammonia. Some leaves look burned but i do have some normal new growth. What am I doing wrong?

3. BBA: I have some BBA which do not seem to go away on the driftwood. I will introduce otos and SAE next week. Amano shrimps do not like my tank and sit closer to the surface. I use excel at double dose ( 20cc daily), have two fluval 406 canister filters and curculation pump designed for up to 135 gal

I appreciate any advice from the experts! Thank you for your help.

jeffkrol

Jan 11, 2018
WI
Certainly not an expert but some experience..

Lightings only good for low light plants really and esp. at 6 hours/day..
deep wide tank..

Never found Excel in that low of dose to be effective for BBA..
Last time I fought off BBA in a 55 only 1/2mL (CC) per gallon of Met14 (glut ) did much of anything.
Some people have even dosed as high as 1mL/gallon though not w/ shrimp.

Met14 is stronger than Excel..1.73x stronger.. Seachem Flourish Excel would need to be dosed at 93.5cc's for equiv to 1/2cc Met14/gallon..
Do some searching on Met14 and BBA..

As a cautionary note..43mL of Met14 in a 40B killed some of my fish and set my biofilter back to a mini cycle for a few days..
The fish killed were few and mostly older or weakened fish (had a touch of columnaris) fish w/ the exception of a Golden Algae eater..it was sad..
THIS is fairly unusual and cause is a bit ? since many have dosed much higher.

I'll leave the ferts to others but 20 root tabs w/ low CO2, low light seems excessive, and then to dose on top????

rajkm

Article Editor
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Article Editor
Sep 16, 2015
Hillsboro, OR
The lights is low light at best.

Dosing wise pick a routine and stick to it. Start with lower dose appropriate for your tank/Low light conditions. Since you already added flourish tabs, I don’t see the need of much water column dosing unless the root tabs are exhausted.

Excel is not CO2, so shrimps sifting at top could be a different reason, including bad water conditions. I would suggest to keep Nitrates at about 5$7 anytime you measure it. Anything above is a waste.