Need Help Treating New Plants For Planaria

chrisaggie

Sep 1, 2017
Stagecoach, TX
I recently got some anubias petite and fissidens moss in the mail. Before putting in the tank I put them in a small bowl to clean them up. Their are quite a few planaria coming off the plants. I have kept those plants separate for now until I can treat. I have some fenbendazole on the way. I know the 'normal' dose is 1 gram/10 gallon of water but I would like to dip just these few plants to treat just them. My questions are 1)what higher dosage can I use to blast them 2)how long/how much time do I need to dip/treat to make sure all planaria/eggs are killed 3)is this pointless and should I just throw the plants out?

Thanks!

Chris

Phishless

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 13, 2017
Arnold, MD
I use a 10:1 water:H2O2 dip and sometimes use a paintbrush with Excel.
Don't know if this would kill eggs? Planaria lay eggs?/ I don't know.
If you cut them in half you just create another I believe.

In the end do you have fish that will eat them?
Planaria would never survive in my Platy farm, they would all be eaten.

chrisaggie

Sep 1, 2017
Stagecoach, TX
From my quick research online people do talk about planaria eggs, but I am not sure. I don't believe I have fish that eat them. How long do you do the h2o2 dip?

Phishless

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 13, 2017
Arnold, MD
I do about 2-5 minutes on dip.
It releases all critters but I know it does not damage the little blobs of snail eggs.

kevinli

Dec 25, 2017
Canada
I use a product called "no-planaria" and it works wonders. 2-3 days and it's gone. No harm to shrimp or fish (maybe snails) but definitely not harmful to plants. It may cause a spike to nitrate if you have a lot of planaria but otherwise nothing but slightly cloudy water. It's good because it gets into the Ada soil and gets into filter media as well.

Reactions: slipfinger