Need help ordering a rimless tank. Glasscages.com suck.

ntino

Guru Class Expert
Apr 29, 2008
Ok, here goes...
I placed an order with glasscages.com for a 24x24x24 rimless starphire cube with stand. Last weekend I went to pick the tank up only to find out that the 3 holes I asked to be drilled at the bottom were drilled on the back panel at the top! Needless to say, I didnt take the tank, but took the stand, thinking that would get the tank when they have it fixed or make a new one. Yesterday I smoke to one of the people there, and there was no problem with getting me a replacement, but she had to check for paperwork - I was told I would get a phone call, but no phone call came. Today, I phoned them - several times, because the right person wasnt avaliable, then when she finally did talk to me, she told me she checked my order and one the drawing I sent of where the bulkheads should be it didnt say bottom panel. When I made my order, I spoke with the owner, explained that I wanted the bulkheads at the bottom of the tank and he asked me to send him a picture of how I wanted them spaced - which I did, he did see the picture and sent me an invoice - everything was very clear to both of us.
So, she tells me that she will refund the money for the tank, minus the stand and delivery, and advises that I go shopping elsewhere, because they now have a tank that they have no use for!
Worse than that, when I tried to explain that I faxed what I was asked for - a layout of the bulkhead spacing - I was told "If you were told to jump off a bridge, would you?" I didnt get it, so she told me "well, you werent helpful to us with the drawing you sent, so we made it the best we could!!!?!!" I couldnt believe what she was saying. How about calling me if they werent clear on something.
This is the worst customer care ever. I mean, I ordered a stand to fit this tank, paid for it, paid for delivery, went to get the tank and stand, only to be stuck with no tank and a useless stand, and no other place to order a rimless tank from. Very frustrating. Nevermind the fact that I spent a month waiting for the tank, and this is not my first purchase with them. I expressed my frustration and was told that the owner - Tom, will call me tomorrow. I really hope he sees things my way.
I really would like to know what other places could make a tank like that - a starphire rimless, at a reasonable price. classcages was at 375+25 for each hole, so 450.

Any kind of help would be appreciated, I know about aquariumobsessed.com.

Thanks alot,
Chris.

P.S. I hope its ok that I posted this in the general section as well, I posted in the subscription/off topic section, but then realized that not everyone has access to that forum. If its not ok, please just delete one of the threads, keep whichever location is more appropriate.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Folks can read about their service on other forums all they want. Lee Mar should be able to get a tank to you and they are very high quality edge work/beveled edges etc.

You will need to go through a LFS though and it will cost more.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
ntino;28704 said:
who is Lee Mar? how do I contact?

A LFS in your area, preferably a higher line outfit, reef places often will get these things for you.

Regards,
Tom Barr

ntino

Guru Class Expert
Apr 29, 2008
So, I was waiting for Tom to call me today

I was waiting for the promised call from Tom at glasscages, needless to say, it never came, so I called myself - His reply was "I have no idea, you will need to talk to Beth about this, but she isnt here right now, call back tomorrow". I tried to see why he has no idea, and mentioned that Beth told me he would call me back, but he just kept saying that he had no idea what I was talking about, and wouldnt talk to me. I asked him he he could just deal with the situation - he said - Beth is already handling this, she is the one you have to talk to...

Horrible.

Orlando

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2007
That has to be some of the worst customer service Ive ever heard of.

ntino, Im sorry you are going through this, but not to worry. You will prevail in the end and bad karma will take care of those guys.

ntino

Guru Class Expert
Apr 29, 2008
I'm trying

I just cant believe they would act like this - I mean, I have done nothing wrong. All I want is the tank I ordered, its not that hard. They know I can get the money back, so they will do a refund, but I think they are scared of a chargeback for the full amount if they do make another tank - I'm assuming other people have done so before, I can see no other reason for them to not want to take the money and just redo the tank.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
ntino;28729 said:
I was waiting for the promised call from Tom at glasscages, needless to say, it never came, so I called myself - His reply was "I have no idea, you will need to talk to Beth about this, but she isnt here right now, call back tomorrow". I tried to see why he has no idea, and mentioned that Beth told me he would call me back, but he just kept saying that he had no idea what I was talking about, and wouldnt talk to me. I asked him he he could just deal with the situation - he said - Beth is already handling this, she is the one you have to talk to...

Horrible.

Oh crap.
One person parlays on the other..........playing dumb.

Well, there's your answer. Just insist on getting the $ back and leave it at that.
Do not deal with them further on the issue.
Order from someone else.

Regards,
Tom Barr

ntino

Guru Class Expert
Apr 29, 2008
easily said when you dont have 4 bags of aquasoil, pump, pvc, Co2 tank, and a bunch of other aquarium related stuff lying on the floor. Been waiting over a month for the tank. waiting another 2 is a big turn off.

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
If the Glasscages owners are good business people they read forums like this to see how their product is being received. If that is the case they may well be more interested in making you as a satisfied customer now. A few more posts like this on various forums and their profits go south in a big way.

ntino

Guru Class Expert
Apr 29, 2008
I will pretty much post on every forum I can find if they wont do what they are supposed to. This isnt even a first tank I got from them, I spent 1600 with them on a 240 gallon tank + stand just 6 months ago.

Mooner

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2006
Colorado
I also think this outrageous. I was considering using there services but now will not.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I'm in about 5000$ for 4 tanks and stands.
So it's not like we are not the voice of inexperience or one time customers.
They do not seem to keep tabs on customers however.

You'd think with that much $ spent, they'd take good care of you. I guess cheap price and volume are more important.

Regards,
Tom Barr

ntino

Guru Class Expert
Apr 29, 2008
update

I called today....
And all of the sudden, Beth was actually trying to be nice to me, I dont know what happened, but she asked for me to send in exact plans for the tank so that there are no misunderstandings. I phoned later to find out whether she got them, and she said she did. She went ahead to say that she isnt sure what they can do with the old tank(they didnt just want to replace it free of charge, because they still think I made a mistake). I offered to take the old tank at half price, provided they drill one hole at the bottom free of charge. She seemed happy at that. I dont know what I am going to do with it yet.

Cant say I am too happy, but atleast I will be able to get my tank started... in a month or so.