Need Help In Making Macro Solution.

Neil

Oct 15, 2018
India
Hello Everyone,
A couple of months ago i moved to a new location away from my hometown.
After setting up my tank i see some plants are significantly uncomfortable so i decided to check my water parameters.
I am using ground water and its literally a solution of CONCRETE..!

100 Gallon tank
~420 Liters Water ( Display tank + Sump )

Water parameters (Ground Water ):

pH = ~7.2
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = ~80 ppm
Phosphate < 0.25 ppm
GH = 22
KH = 20
Substrate = ADA Amazonia Light
Temp= Remains approx 28 Celcius through out the Day
Results Twice crosschecked.
Above parameters are NOT OF TANK WATER.

I'm EI guy
But here in this situation I'm fully confused what to do with the Nitrogen part... I think i cant dose Potassium Nitrate because its already insanely high.
Whats about Secondary Macro nutrient like Calcium and Magnesium ....TO dose or NOT to dose.

Worst suffering plant is Monte Carlo growing toooooooo slowly but no signs of melting or rotting. Any reason ?

Here are some surprising things... I'm just clueless how things are happening.
  1. I have Guppies and Tetras in my tank ... though Nitrates and KH pushed out of the limits.
  2. I've Rotala Macrandra top portion is turning red even after having such high nitrates.

Last edited:

Allwissend

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2016
Hi Neal,

Is this the water from a water company or are you using your own well? If the latter, I would recommend getting the water checked by a professional water chemistry department, more so if intended for cooking and human consumption. Not only for nitrates but also metals etc.

The GH, KH levels are similar to what comes from my current tap. You can grow plenty of plant and fish species in such waters. Of course the few plants that absolutely demand low KH (Tonina for ex.) will not behave well, but those are few in numbers. At such high GH, most 'natural' waters have plenty of Ca and Mg. It's not a guarantee but it is likely to be the case.

Regarding the high nitrates, I would say you can skip KNO3 and add enough K2SO4 to compensate for the K. You can test later on and see if NO3 is running out. Dilute the aquarium water with distilled if too concentrated. That is, if you trust your NO3 test kit for quantification.

Many aquarium fish are breed in captivity and have adapted to higher water values. Guppies actually are.olay in hard water.

Some plants, like R. macrandra or A. reineckii will display a red coloration without being stressed and starved. They just need to.be healthy and have good light.