Need help IDing this Alga

tv205

Junior Poster
Sep 23, 2005
Hi everyone, I've been a member for a couple years, but I think this is my first post. I was wondering if the alga i've attached pictures of is staghorn. Can anyone confirm or deny this? I set up a new tank (120 gal, 4x96W PC - Lots of light, but I inject CO2 using a mazzei and religiously dose EI) and I added a bacterial innoculant for ponds instead of one for aquariums, and within 2 days i had this alga growing everywhere. It can grow about 3-4 inches per day. I use a DC (KH4), and since i have no fish in the tank yet, i have increased CO2 to keep the DC yellow. The pictures don't indicate this clearly, but it is a dark brown colour, and i was under the impression staghorn was green-grey. Thanks for your help, and any suggestions on it's elimination!

tv205

Junior Poster
Sep 23, 2005
Thanks for the reply. I have never had brown hair algae before, and this stuff branches quite a bit (as i have read staghorn does), but the stuff i've had in past perhaps wasn't hair algae? Thanks!

ceg4048

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 21, 2005
Hi,
It looks more like diatom algae to me which is typical in newly setup tanks. If you keep the lighting low (50%) and do large multiple water changes for a few weeks it will normally go away. Be sure to dose after each water change.

Cheers,

aquabillpers

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
I'd vote for some kind of hair algae. Whatever it is, if the tank is well planted and healthy, it should soon disappear.

Good luck!

Bill

tv205

Junior Poster
Sep 23, 2005
Thanks for your help, i'll keep up water changes and dosing (and reduce light some).