ziggy

Junior Poster
Nov 1, 2007
Can somebody point me in the direction for dosing macro nutrients recipe:

high fish load ... i think?
(5 bigger fish 5-6" approx. plec, 3 x clowns, 1 red tailed shark
40 approx. tetras)
275ltrs.
108 watts of light can add another 54watts if needed ?
co2 injection

(do i need to supply other info... i.e water hardness etc... )

i found this one on this site..... will it suit my needs...

60 – 80 Gallon Aquariums
+/- 3/4 tsp KN03 3x a week
+/- 3/16 tsp KH2P04 3x a week
+/- 1 tsp once a week (water change only) ( of what?).......
+/- ¼ tsp (15ml) Trace 3x a week
50% weekly water change

can somebody clarify +/- in this setup

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi,

Your fish load sounds okay now, but the redtail will get huge, not sure if you know that.

So you can go to about 2 watts per gallon. What type of lighting/bulbs are you using.

How are you injecting/mixing the c02 into the tank?

Are you using a drop checker with 4 or 5 kh solution to determine this?

Any and all water parms are good info to provide.

60 – 80 Gallon Aquariums
+/- 1 tsp once a week (water change only) ( of what?).......

This is a GH booster, but not all use one. I do not. Depends on your water. You would only add this on the day you do the water change.

We also use Prime or an equivalent at a water change....

Give these threads a read:

http://www.barrreport.com/estimative-index/2819-ei-light-those-less-techy-folks.html

The full version:
http://www.barrreport.com/estimative-index/62-estimative-index-dosing-no-need-test-kits.html

Hope this helps.

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
The +/- means, for example, 3/4 tsp, approximately. If you are using T5 lights, with good reflectors, you have about the right amount. But, you do need CO2 at about 30 ppm or so with that much light.

ziggy

Junior Poster
Nov 1, 2007
Code:
Your fish load sounds okay now, but the redtail will get huge, not sure if you know that.

My red tailed shark should only reach about 6" .... he's about 4" already... cant believe he was only the size of a small tetra when i got him

Code:
So you can go to about 2 watts per gallon. What type of lighting/bulbs are you using.

i have arcadia 4x54watts t5's 2 white / 2 blue at mo. i am using 2 white for plant growth, they are marine blubs, will be changing them as they expire over the next few months... any pointers as which bulbs to go for.?

Code:
How are you injecting/mixing the c02 into the tank?

i am injecting pressurized co2 into my eheim filter controlled via ph computer and ph probe.. set to ph of 7.05 based on kh of 11 = 29.400ppm

is there a benefit to to adding GH booster to my water changes.. i'm on the east london water supply... slightly hard water i think....

60 – 80 Gallon Aquariums
+/- 3/4 tsp KN03 3x a week
+/- 3/16 tsp KH2P04 3x a week
+/- 1 tsp once a week (water change only)
+/- ¼ tsp (15ml) Trace 3x a week
50% weekly water change

is a tsp roughly = 15gramms ( trying to figure out how much KN03 & KH2PNO4 to orded and how long it will last....)

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
The only way you can measure the amount of CO2 dissolved in the tank water, without spending over $1000, and with enough accuracy for the measurement to mean anything, is with a drop checker, as discussed in http://www.barrreport.com/articles/...ndicators-why-how.html?highlight=drop+checker. Don't be concerned about the tank water pH.

The lights you are using may be too far out of the range on color temperature to be fully effective for plants. It would be best to use bulbs with a color temperature rating between about 5500K to 10,000K, and, as you know, the actinic bulbs are not useful to plants.