Need Altum angels advice

R

Russ

Hi folks,

I have 5 Altum angels (medium/small) coming from Anubias Design this week and I could use some advice. Anything regarding how to keep them healthy and calm :) would be appreciated.

One specific issue is temperature. I've read the preferred maintenance temperature is 85ºF, but I'm afraid of killing many of the plants I like keeping. Others say 82ºF is fine, which I already maintain a 58g at without problems for most plants.

Thanks for any other tips or information.

-Russ

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Acclimate very slowly.
Like several hours.

Feed well.

Provide a hedge for them to hide behind.

Regards,
Tom Barr

R

Russ

neil1973;20516 said:
IMHO 82F will be fine. I can't think of any fish species (including discus) that really need to be kept warmer than this.

Thanks for the reply.

Have you actually kept altums successfully? Can you relate anything about your experience?

-Russ

neil1973

Prolific Poster
Dec 17, 2005
Stirling, UK
My experience of altums was from having them in an aquarium shop where i was working so i havn't personally kept them at home long term.

In general though i think most fish species, within reason, are quite flexable in terms water conditions (temp, ph, hardness etc.) especially if acclimatised. I think there is often a tendancy in fish keeping to focus very heavily on water parameters and perhaps not pay enough attention to other important asspects such as feeding and minimising other stress factors. I think what Tom said in terms of feeding and giving them somwhere to hide is very important.

The state that fish are in when you get them is also very significant. Important factors here will be things such as:

Disease: fish that have been recently moved (perhaps a number of times) are likley to be stressed and more suceptable to disease. Wild caught fish in particular may have internal parasites that may not normally caused problems but when combined with stress and poor nutrition can cause problems.

Condition: If a newly obtained fish is very underweight it can be hard to tern this situation around (points given above for disease are relavant here).

Genetic quality: For captive bred species, especially those that have been produced comercially for a long time, then genetic quality is a real issue (this probably won't apply to your altums).

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Another trick, let the wholesaler lose them ....then pick what's left.
3 clients have them I've worked with.
All are worm feeders.........
All have soft water.........
All keep things about 82-83F.
All do lots of water changes and have lots of space.
All carefully acclimate..................

Getting them stabilized is the first issue.
A bare bottomed quarantine tank might be very useful.

Of the 64 I saw at one client's, I think he still has 60.
They started off at 1" and most are 3-6".

He medicates and watches them closely.
Only the best ones go into the planted tank.

I might use these fish for a main display for my 180.
Not sure yet, they eat Amano shrimp.

Regards,
Tom Barr