This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Need Advice on Moving a Tank

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by shane, Jun 17, 2008.

1. shane

shane Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    7:02 PM
    I am going to be moving in about 2 months. Will be moving about 20 minutes down the road. I am trying to figure out how I will move my 60 gallon planted discus tank. Any advice?

It is an all glass tank (36" by 18" by 20") with a rim around the top and bottom. Has ADA aquasoil and sand in it with driftwood. Heavily planted.

Can I drain 95% of the water and just carry it out? With driftwood, plants, and substrate in place? Put the fish in a bucket. Or will the bottom fall out of it?

2. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Shane,

Take out the substrate and place it in a rubbermaid container. Then cover with tank water to keep it wet. These come in 20, 30, and 40 gal sizes. Place the fish and plants in another container that contains sufficient tank water to hold the fish in it. You may want several of these esp with the discus.
    These are square so you can hang a whisper type filter on it or something.

Then you can drain the rest of the tank.

I would NOT advise carrying it with substrate and water, even a bit.

Then, when you are at the new place add the substrate and plants and fill the tank. Then add some new water to the fish so they get acclimated a bit.

Then you can add the fish back after the tank has run for a bit and they are okay. Add some Prime as well. Think of it as a very large WC.

I have moved my 180 gal multiple times over the years this way. Safer.

Hope this helps.

3. shane

shane Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    When I originally setup the tank I put down some ADA powersand. Sounds like I will need to separae the powersand from the Aquasoil? Is siphoning out the soil the easiest way to get it out of the tank?

So I can completely empty out the tank by separating Aquasoil from PowerSand and then onc ethe tank is moved I place the power sand down first, then the Aquasoil, then the sand. Then I configure the driftwood and plant the plants.

Now, can I put the fish in the tank the same day I put this all together? I will probably run the filters in the buckets to keep the bacteria going.

4. Carissa

Carissa Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    If the water parameters are roughly the same, I don't think there would be an issue with putting the fish in on the same day (keep a very close eye on the temperature though). You might want to let the water circulate for a few hours and come to the right temp with the heater before moving them, this will also allow excess dissolved gases to evaporate from the tap water. Saving some tank water to mix with tap can help with keeping the water parameters stable, siphon it off the top into some 5 gallon buckets before the tear down.

5. jlroar

jlroar Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Check your current water temp, hardness, and everything else you normally check to make sure the fish are OK. You will need to make sure your water at the new house is as close to this as possible. You may need to get spring water and even distilled water from a local grocery store to get your hardness just right. Do not only use distilled water! Don't forget to unplug the heater at least 5 minutes BEFORE you remove it or drain the water so it won't crack or break.

For a 20 mile drive I wouldn't add air or filter the water. The spray from the bubbles popping at the top of the waters surface can make a real mess in your car/truck. The most important thing I have found for that short of a drive is to make sure the buckets are not in direct sun light and are not filled to the top so if you hit a large bump the fish can't use that momentum to jump not to mention less water will be spilled.

When you get to your destination make sure you at least add an air stone until the tank is setup and ready for them to go in. I would be careful adding more than 1 discus in a 5 gallon bucket even for this short amount of time.

I would also add multiple airstones to the newly setup tank to help churn the water and help with gas exchange. Don't forget to add dechlor. I would also setup the old filter and as much of your equiptment as you can.

It worked for me and another guy I know with no die offs.

I would save as much water as you can though as was suggested before and follow the tip on keeping the substraight moist.

You want to get to your destination as quickly as possible but with as few bumps and steep hills and inclines as possible too.

James