This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need a nice hidden little thermometer...

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by DaveSurfer, Nov 27, 2008.

1. DaveSurfer

DaveSurfer Prolific Poster

Hey, I'm setting up a nice planted new tank and don't want a visible thermometer on any part of the glass. I've heard one can put thermometer sensors inside of canister filters. How is this done? What is the best thermometer to get?

Thanks!

2. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Hey,

Unsure about the internal sensors, but how about a digital monitor that has a small remote sensor on it that sits in the water. The actual display/meter is attached to several feet of cord on the remote sensor and can be mounted out of sight. They are small and unobtrusive, easy to install, and you won't have to modify or touch your canister in any way..

Coralife Digital Thermometer

I used one for a while and worked fine. Replaced with a Hanna ph/temp monitor.

3. DaveSurfer

DaveSurfer Prolific Poster

Yeah, that one I was looking at. The black sensor looks a bit bulky, where does one hide that in the aquarium?

4. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

It's not that big that it can't be hidden easily. I stuck mine in a corner and covered it with java fern.

I think it just looks bigger in the pic, but the overall device and sensor are pretty small.

5. BradH

BradH Junior Poster

I had one of those coralife digital thermometers and I found it to be inaccurate. I remember reading a post on some forum (can't remember which one) and a guy had 3 of them on the same tank, and they all gave different readings. So I wouldn't count on them. Just my opinion though.