Naturescape, Update

bshenanagins

Junior Poster
Mar 3, 2017
Good to know, however my gripe is not the controllability of ramp time, but color customization. I have been working on a DIY setup with Red Cyan Blue-Cool White & Warm White. It will be setup so that each color can be individually tuned to my liking for a similar cost to buying the Twinstar and controller. My fear is buying the twinstar and not liking the color rendition. Looks great on this tank though!

Reactions: Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2017
UK
@bshenanagins the colour rendition of the Twinstar S series is pretty much the best I've seen, with perhaps the exception of the ADA Solar RGB, but that is mega bucks.
The RGB LEDs in the S series really make the colours of the plants and critters pop.
Btw I use the controller Jurijs features in his video, the one posted by @Naathan.

Tim Harrison

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2017
UK
Another update pic. The the Rotala is growing well after it was trimmed. Not totally sure what variety/species it is, but I think it's R. mexicana "Goias".

48161889791_c36691ab93_b.jpg

Last edited:

bshenanagins

Junior Poster
Mar 3, 2017
How Is this tank doing? And I’ve decided to go with the Twinstar S and that controller myself

Tim Harrison

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2017
UK
Haha, I'm not sure I have any to share. I'm now in the middle of tearing this scape down, it was long over due and had become a tangled mess. I do however have some images of some of the plants I pulled out. They've all been growing in either partial or complete shade for at least the last month or so...

My little helper :meh::rolleyes:

bshenanagins

Junior Poster
Mar 3, 2017
Well dang, knew this was coming just hoped you were still procrastinating! Plants still look great though. I look forward to your new scape

Reactions: Tim Harrison
Nov 9, 2017
Netherlands
I don't see any gsa on your plants! my anubias always get it.. My front glass also after two weeks not cleaning.. I guess it is a phosphate problem.. Or co2.. Got lot of air spitting out of the oase causing the reactor getted filled with air..

Tim Harrison

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2017
UK
That's right low CO2 and PO4 levels are often thought to encourage GSA, but ultimately it's a high light issue and a question of balance. I had some growing on my aquarium glass and some on plants in high light areas, but I usually don't use mega watts of lighting over my scapes. Compared to a lot of folks my lighting is of fairly moderate intensity. But I never really struggle growing plants, even carpet plants grow low and compact. I think good CO2 flow and distribution is of greater importance.

The lack of GSA on my epiphytes is also more to do with where I place them in the scape. Anubias definitely needs to be placed in the shade. It's relatively slow growing even in good light and that means the leaves are prone to algae. Some Buces usually do well in fairly high light since they grow relatively quickly so new leaves shade out the old before they can attract algae. The leaves also develop a beautiful iridescent sheen in higher light.