This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Nano tank Fluval 2.6 gallon low tech

Discussion in 'Non-CO2 Methods' started by JKKomm, Sep 13, 2016.

1. JKKomm

JKKomm Junior Poster

Local Time:
    9:57 PM
    Hey folks,

I could use some pointers on the low tech side. I am aquiring a Fluval Spec 2.6 gallon tank with the stock Led.

My plan is to make this a low tech beta tank.

I have read up on the flow issue I plan on putting some Ohko stone, and Mopani wood (naturally lower the ph some). For plants I am putting in some Anubias (two different kinds), and black sand substrate.

My issue is since the beta will be the only live stock in the low tech, and the Anubias is a slow grower, would ei lite be any benefit to the Anubias (exspecially with the stock LED)? Would Excel be any benefit, or over complicate the low tech tank? As EI lite (based on rotalabutterfly) given measurements.

thanks you.

2. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    1:57 PM
    Ditch the excel, EI you can also do without, once you got a stable tank you can worry about fertilization. What substrate are you starting with?

3. JKKomm

JKKomm Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks for the reply. The substrate is black sand, currently have Mopani with a Anubias. Going to get some Ohko stone, and a couple more Anubias variety sp. I've changed the light to a Finnex stingray clip-on.

Tank just finished cycling, so my plan is EI lite, and water changes about once a month.

4. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    1:57 PM
    a tip

if you don't do ei at all you can just top off the water. This is assuming your light ain't so bright or powerful, i have no experience with finnex stingray myself. and assuming you are using just tap water.

my advice, do not go ei lite for 2 months or so, as said before over and over fertilizers is an easy fix. if you observe your tank everyday or once a week, you can see your plants when they will need fertilizer, i just don't want you to run into any problems being it low tech and low demanding anubias.

5. JKKomm

JKKomm Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks for the advice.

Update.

2.6 gallon

dechlorinated tap water

7.2 ph (degassed)

4.4kh

150ppm GH

temp: 76 - 82 (room temp)

finnex stingray

inert black sand

0 ammonia

0 nitrite

less than 5ppm of nitrate

live stock:

1 Betta

Hardscape:

Ohko stone

mopani wood

plants:

anubias coffeefolia

anubias HETEROPHYLLA

anubias nana petite (x5)

anacharis narrow leaf

brazilian penny wort (floating)

I dose ei lite macros and micros. I started to see some deficiencies in the Anubias HETEROPHYLLA leaves started turning light green). After dosing the Anubias has perked up, have some new root growth. By the end of the week, the same Anubias HETEROPHYLLA leaves started to turn light green again. Based on the observation and testing it seems like I have a nitrogen deficiency.

What do you think?

#5 JKKomm, Oct 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2016
  6. rajkm

rajkm Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    Anarcharis from what I know is a nitrate hogger. So you could very well be seeing that. I would continue to add Nitrogen and if needed Potassium.

7. JKKomm

JKKomm Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks rajkm for the reply. I completely agree with your statement regarding the anachris. I guess I should have made myself little more clear. Before I added the Anubias petite, coffeefolia and the anachris narrow leaf, my anubias HETEROPHYLLA leaf was starting to yellow (which I think shows a lack of no3). Now that I added the petite,coffeefolia, and anachris. If I had a no3 issue, it would get worse.

I'll take rajkm reply, and maybe add 1/4 more of kno3 (about 200mg) to the ei lite recommendations as see where that gets me.

What at do you think?

8. Adam Edmond

Adam Edmond Junior Poster

Local Time:
    [h=1][/h]

Although you shouldn’t have much trouble growing Anubias, there are some commonly occuring problems with this plant you may run into. For one it doesn’t appreciate very strong lighting. If too many leaves seem to be dying, yellowing or constantly getting covered in algae, try moving your Anubias to the shade of another plant or adding some floaters (if your other plants don’t mind subdued lighting).

If the entire plant seems to be dying off in the first few days or weeks after buying, you may have gotten an Anubias that was grown emersed (=above the water surface). Many aquarium plants can be grown both under water and above the surface in swamp-like conditions, but when you switch them from emersed to submersed they may temporarily have some trouble adapting and shed a lot of leaves. Luckily, this problem should usually fix itself! After the initial melt, new leaves should eventually start appearing.

By that I think you can do without ei lite and still have impressive yilelds.