This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Support us by upgrading to the lifetime advertisement free version.

Click here for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Nano Tank Evolution

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Richard Jones, Mar 4, 2021.

1. Richard Jones

Richard Jones New Member

Local Time:
    7:11 PM
    Hey y'all! I'm an old saltwater and fancy goldfish keeper (Ranchus are my weak spot), but I haven't kept fish for probably 20 years... until now! As you can imagine, things have changed a lot since I worked in fish stores in high school in the late 80's when I used undergravel filters on my saltwater tanks ;)

Anyway, I wanted another Ranchu, and thought I would start with one in a nano tank until he got too big and I could petition my wife for a bigger tank. So I jumped right into designing a tank for a single water piggy that would satisfy my wife's design ethos but also handle his bio load. Since I wanted an AIO with no equipment showing, I modeled it up in Sketchup and this is what I came up with:
    original.png
    Wow, that is more embarrassing than I thought it would be! But the main points were the bamboo, rounded pebbles, a Buddha, and lots of swimming space. (Yes, I know that isn't a Ranchu, but that's the only nice looking goldfish I could find in Sketchup).

But as I researched the latest aquarium innovations, I discovered planted freshwater tanks... and I'm hooked! I ended up building a custom AOI filter with CO2 injection and everything. And nowadays the tank looks like this:
    Sanshi20210303.jpg
    I'm still working on the plant placements and algae control, and I could definitely use some suggestions.

There is a whole lot of explainin' to do between point A and point B, and I'd love to recount my adventure if you're interested, so please let me know if I should continue!

Thanks for checking it out,
    -Rich

toads74, lito00 and calvin doss like this.