This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Nano Cube

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by PK1, Oct 31, 2005.

1. PK1

PK1 Guru Class Expert

I want to set up a 12 gallon planted tank (see http://www.jbjnanocube.com) and could use some advice on the set-up:

I like black substrate and need to decide between Onyx Sand vs. Eco Complete, would appreciate feedback from anyone with experience with either of these. Also, what other additives (if any) would you recommend (eg. peat on the bottom, etc.)

I am also deciding whether or not to use CO2. Not to unecessarily complicate things, but using CO2 is the only way I know how to control algae. Any advice on the set-up without CO2? The cube comes with 2 x 24W PC lamps & if necessary, I can remove one of the PC's to reduce lighting to 24W.

My first and only tank is a 90 Gal. so tearing down and re-setting up a 12 gallon would be a breeze in comparison, but I'd still rather get it right the first time!

2. imatrout

imatrout Prolific Poster

Re: Nano Cube

I have the exact set up. The lights are strong so I think you need CO2.. I have a 2.5 gallon aluminum tank with a Milwaukee regulator and no controller. I am using Flourite on the nano and Eco Complete on my 150. See the post about Bizarre PO4 and follow the threads regarding Eco Complete and a contaminated shipment. Eco id GREAT if you don't get the contaminated stuff.

My 12 g nanocube is great and grows beautiful plants. Good luck.

3. PK1

PK1 Guru Class Expert

Re: Nano Cube

That's what I thought... I have a spare regulator so all I need is a small tank. I would suspect one bag of Eco is all I would need to get?