Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Focus Please

Hi,

Based on the photos it would be a wild guess. :rolleyes:

Focus please. Pull it out of the tank and photograph on a light colored background lay a ruler preferably millimeter scale next to it. :gw

If you can give the number of whorls right or left handed.

Biollante

C

csmith

Is This Any Better?

I can't find it now to pull it out, but here's another picture I took with the others. It's maybe the size of a pencil eraser.

Snailofsomesort.jpg

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Nat Geo Has Openings

Hi,

My first reaction was some sort of New Zealand Mud snail, perhaps Physidae sp. :p

Looking at this again, I suppose it could be a spiked Apple snail variant, Pomacea bridgesi, sometimes called P. diffusa. :rolleyes:

However based on what I see and assuming the subject is an adult, my final answer (for now) is Tadpole or Pouch snail, Physa sp. :)

• Small.
  • I base this on that appears to be left-handed (guru types would say sinistral).
  • I see no gills, if there are gills it ain’t. (Guru types would say, it is an air-breathing critter with lungs.)
  • The pointy part (guru types would say spire).
  • I see no little lid (guru types would say operculum).
  • Appears to be a long opening (guru types would say long aperture).

Pouch snails are generally good guys. :gw

Snail identification is difficult and without clear photos with size references, it is hard to tell.

Biollante

CRS Fan

Junior Poster
Feb 15, 2010
Vancouver
Looks like a Radix (Lymnea) species due to the the triangular shaped antennae. They are easily distinguished from physa in that they have string-like antennae. Unfortunately I am unsure of the exact species of radix (Lymnea). I would guess it could be Lymnea (radix) ovata or Lymnea (radix) auricularia. Please see reference to Limnaeidae in this article.

Best Regards,

Stuart

C

csmith

Clear Photos

I think this is as good as it gets. I noticed during my water changes today it tended to try to stay at the water line, if that helps.

Snail1.jpg

Snail2.jpg

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
I Will Stick For Now

Hi,

I will stick with my Pouch snail, Physa sp. for the reasons listed above, I think I know the species, I will, see if I can confirm.

Snails can be tricky. :)

It is a good snail. :cool:

Biollante

Ralleh

Junior Poster
Oct 28, 2007
Lymnaea columella

I think this is as good as it gets. I noticed during my water changes today it tended to try to stay at the water line, if that helps.

They're air-breathers.

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Good Catch

Ralleh;55602 said:
Lymnaea columella

They're air-breathers.

Hi Stuart,

Good catch on the antenna, I missed it completely, even after you pointed it out. :eek:

Pouch snails, Physa sp. are also air breathers. :)

Biollante

C

csmith

Lymnaea columella? Cool. Whatever they are, they get absolutely HUGE compared to the other snails.

CRS Fan

Junior Poster
Feb 15, 2010
Vancouver
Biollante;55603 said:
Hi Stuart,

Good catch on the antenna, I missed it completely, even after you pointed it out. :eek:

Pouch snails, Physa sp. are also air breathers. :)

Biollante

You're welcome. I only know about the antennae trick from an English version of a German invert forum. These are good snails that don't eat healthy plants :)!

Best Regards,

Stuart