This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Name that ALGEEEEEE

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by fresh_newby, Dec 15, 2006.

1. fresh_newby

fresh_newby Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    4:59 AM
  2. hanno

hanno Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Hello,

I don't think that it is an algae. To me it seems like a freshwater sponge!
    (There are white and green species. - the green ones are not green on their own but coloured by an alga that is contained in their structure.) I think it is an interisting object for observation and wouldn't fight it.

best regards Hanno

3. fresh_newby

Local Time:
    wow really? Perhaps you are correct. The consistency is odd, like a waxy gel in spots. Would this have hitchiked on a plant? Nothing appears to be on my plants. It is all on the glass, and from midway to the top, not at the bottom. I know it is not a BGA, and it is nothing like any other algae I have seen. That would make a lot of sense. Why would I want to leave it? I know it is cool to observe, but why am I working so hard to grow weeds, when I can't see them?

4. hanno

hanno Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Hello,

perhaps you could transfer it to another tank on its own. It could be a little one. But I don't know the requirements of a symbiotic green freshwatersponge. Judging by it's size it can't be too bad for it in your tank. surely it could have been transported by bought or collected plants. I don't know where you live, but I'd really like to have some of that stuff.

best regards
    Hanno

5. fresh_newby

Local Time:
    it spreads like herpes all over the walls. There is nothing on my plants, no algae, no goo...Right now I cleaned it all off during my last water change. It is lime green colored and if you check out the pics looks like round droplets that run together. i treated with excle, nothing happens, i did 3 days of Erythromycin, thinking the cell wall is similar to a BGA, so maybe that would have worked, and that little patch i left is still happy and spreading. My pleco doesn't suck the walls anymore, he even looks ill.

IMG_0123.gif

6. fish_lover0591

fish_lover0591 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Wow you are still having this problem ? i wonder how it even got in your tank lol . Well i have no idea how you can remove it since it can grow back very very quickly . Can't you do a 50 % water change and remove it and dry it up and fill the tank back up with water ?

7. hanno

hanno Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Hello,

I just looked for information on freshwater sponges. What I found out is:
    • they like to have a little current
    • they like shady corners - given an access of light, many of them move, divide and spread
    • there are quite a lot of different types in fresh water with different structures and colours.
    • size can range between millimeters to 30 centimeters and more.
    • sponges can be found in nearly all bigger lakes and rivers.

So, if you change conditions in your tank, visible sponges should dissappear but it will still exist in your tank and spread out again if conditions are appropriate for it.
    I read a german tank log in which the owner stated, that a sponge returned after two years!

best regards
    Hanno

8. fresh_newby

Local Time:
    Thanks hanno...it has been determined that it definitely is not a freshwater sponge. I am back in the camp of thinking it is a type of soft algae. I am still looking for an ID and a cause, then a cure and preventative. Excel doesn't kill it, beither does erythromycin. My next attempt will be H2O2.

9. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    If you just want to get rid of it, why not lower the water level way down, then use paper towels to carefully wipe it all off, missing nothing? Refill the tank and do another 60-70% water change to try to catch any of the stuff that got into the water. Then, if you really, really want to kill the stuff, do a 3 day total blackout of the tank, followed by another wiping of the walls and double water change. I suspect this would do it for you.

10. hanno

hanno Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Hello,

I agree with Vaughn. I wouldn't do it the hard way. His method should work. If it didn't respond to erythromycin I doubt that it is an alga.

Hanno

11. fresh_newby

Local Time:
    Erythromycin is an antibiotic. I kills bacteria, not algae. No response to erythromycin does not rule out an algae. I just want to be clear on that. It is a treatment for BGA, true, but BGA is NOT an algae, it is a photosynthetic bacteria. I just want to make sure you understand that. Of course I can do the cleanup and black out. That will likely be the route I go, I am sure, but understand, right now, I am trying to ID it, find out how I got it, where it came from, what caused it. Scientifically, that is more my focus than just getting rid of it. That is the easy part....

12. reiverix

reiverix Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Well firstly I have no idea what it is, sorry :(

I guess my question is has it always been in the tank, or did it appear as if from nowhere, or did it appear after adding something to the tank? A new plant, rock or wood maybe.

Not much help, I know, but I'm curious to where something like this could have came from. Do you have any other FW tanks set up that have the same plague?

13. fresh_newby

Local Time:
    This just appeared in the past 2 weeks. The tank was set up in march 2006, and has only had a bout of GW the first week it was set up, and some BGA from a plant that I bought from a friend. other than that, I have never had BBA, GSA, GDA, nothing like that. This popped up out of nowhere. I did get some plants from a local plant club swap, but I asked them all if they had this and they didn't. The only other thing I did was treat the tank with Metronidazole because my pleco had a parasite. This started before that treatment though. It covers in a matter of days, and it is waxy and gel-like. The hardscape is the same, and the plant mass large, but no algae on plants. I am just at a loss, and for me that is the worst thing. Like not being able to diagnose a patient. This will plague me until I figure it out.

14. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Do you remember the Indiana Jones movie, where the hero was in Cairo, faced with a mean looking villain, who pulled a big sword, spun it around while looking like he was looking forward to decapitating Indiana? You expected Indiana to figure out a great martial arts move to disarm the villain - but he just pulled out his pistol and shot him. That's how I handle algae when I can.

15. fresh_newby

Local Time:
    Nice Hoppy...lol but Harrison Ford isn't a scientist....hehehe

16. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    But a big gun can kill algae:)

Try the blackout, Excel, manual removal, series of several large water changes back to back.

Yep, it's work, but the tank does look and act better afterwards.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

17. fresh_newby

Local Time:
    Read, Tom Read~ lol

I got rid of it....that is not the problem. i can get rid of any algae...and have, but as you know that is not the issue here. The issue is identifying what the hell it was, and finding out how it came about in the tank...did it hijack? Was it due to a condition? was it a med that facilitiated it? I can get rid of it, and did....everything is crystal clear.....but again, you are a scientist...I am a scientist...if i resolve a patient's ailment by accident, but never really had a firm diagnosis, it still BUGS me, because I HAVE to know what it was and how did he get it?> Get my point?

Identify the etiological agent and determine its origin that is my goal

18. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    I have some epidemology background so let's talk vector trasmission then.
    Air, new plants, nets, fish water from new species being added, fish gut contents, old driftwood being added, new driftwood being added, sand, there are many things that might allow this alga in the tank.
    Which one?
    I'm not sure.
    That's a hard thing to test and see.
    Many things to undercover anr rule off and that's more work than I care for.
    I'd say at least 80 % of the above will work for GDA.

Inoculation was never enough to induce much in any of the tanks I added it to, both in soft and hard water tanks.

Rather than worrying about transmission, I focus on management, essentially taking the view point, a healthly patient(tank) is the best defense against a disease (algae).

What types of declines in the health of a plant or it's immediate environment allows the GDA to bloom and germinate?

If you figure out why an alga blooms, you got it licked.
    Transmission no longer matters, and most folks are bad at sterile techinque no matter how much we might tell them to do it.
    It's impractical in this hobby.

But what and ID the algae is possible in many cases, not all, there are a large class of LTRGT's, little tiny round green things that even a good light microscope cannot ID, they all look the same, so an SEM is required.

GDA is a fair easy to ID alga.
    I do an Algae ID lab and have a 3 day short course for Marine macro's in Florida.

You can take a sample and check them out under the scope, that's really the only way to tell in many cases with a lot of less common algae.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

19. fresh_newby

Local Time:
    So you think this gloppy, waxy, cicular green goo is GDA? IMO it looks , feels or acts nothing like it, but perhaps there is a subspecies I am not aware of....

20. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    Got a good pic?

Regards,
    Tom Barr