This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Mysterious eight legged creature

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by FreshPuff, Nov 19, 2012.

1. FreshPuff

FreshPuff Junior Poster

Local Time:
    11:49 AM
    Hello fellow aquarists-
    Let me start by telling you what is going on. Yesterday I purchased a couple of pipe fish from a LFS here in town. unfortunately, I found them dead this morning. the fish did not make it through the night in my planted tank. When I was taking the dead fish out I noticed a few small dots and squiggly lines moving along the water line. I did not dose the tank with fertilizers that day and drip acclimated all of the pipe fish. They are too hard to see with the naked eye so I snapped some shots with my macro lens and this is what I found:
    For a sense of perspective the leaf in this picture is roughly one cm long.
    [​IMG]
    If you can't make out what you are looking at, here is a close up:
    [​IMG]
    All these creatures are behind the glass and under the waterline. When I tested the water after removing the fish, ammonia was present. Could the presence of ammonia drive these creatures out from the substrate and up the glass? I have never seen these things in my tank before. I am trying to figure out whether or not I have had them all along or perhaps the wild caught pipe fish introduced a parasite. I have heard that these organisms are part of the microfauna of established tanks. What do you all think?