My tap water report

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
This much?

In fact I would recommend making up a weeks worth of Macros and a weeks worth of Micros mix each into 250 ml of distilled water, then dose 1 ml per gallon of gross tank volume 3 days a week.

I made Epsom solution, KNO3 solution and I am waiting for the CACl2 from Aquariumfertilizer. For micros( 10ml 3*/week ) I have 1.5L of TPN. I also dose 4ml of Flourish Iron 6* a week. Also, I am waiting for the delivery of "Sprint Fe 138 (6% Fe-EDDHA)"
http://www.bes-tex.com/products.php?kei=8

I have so much ferts in my house and more ferts under way that my wife thinks I am going nuts. Lol, she's the one that started all this aquarium hobby stuff back at the end of August of '09. I am not even going to mention the filters and filter media, lights, heaters, Koralias and so on.

Biollante, with the dosing, do you mean 1ml/gallon of gross for the entire week ( 55ml/week) or 1ml/ gallon of gross 3 times/week (165m/week ) ? Sorry for being a pest but, I just want to make sure I get this right.

Tug

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2009
Washington, DC
Cabbages and Kings

barbarossa4122;46239 said:
Lol, she's the one that started all this aquarium hobby stuff back at the end of August of '09. I am not even going to mention the filters and filter media, lights, heaters, Koralias and so on.
That's how I got started. For the first few months all I would hear is, "I don't remember it being this complicated back in the day." Of course she didn't have plants and knew enough to keep up with her water changes. Finally, she appreciates what I do, as long as I don't talk about the technical stuff. Then she looks at me like I'm crazy. I need to find a club that is metro accessible. I like to think I know what I'm doing, but Biollante and Philosophos, etc. have made my life much easier on the home front. There are a great number of people at the Barr report who have gone out of their way to help me and this hobby. I try to give back - it helps when people have got your back.

Last edited by a moderator:

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
barbarossa4122;46224 said:
This means I have to add 31.5ml 3 times a week of both solutions for my 55g and 18.9ml for my 30g ? Just want to make sure I get this right.

I subtract 15% from my tank volumes for hardscape etc. if I don't know the volume that the tank holds with displacement. The quantity I listed was for week total, so divide your results by 3. That would be 10ml 3x a week for the 55, and about 6ml 3x a week for your 30 gal.

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
Philosophos;46256 said:
I subtract 15% from my tank volumes for hardscape etc. if I don't know the volume that the tank holds with displacement. The quantity I listed was for week total, so divide your results by 3. That would be 10ml 3x a week for the 55, and about 6ml 3x a week for your 30 gal.

Thanks a lot Philosophos. I am subtracting 15% as you suggested.
You guys are great.

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
I like to think I know what I'm doing, but Biollante and Philosophos, etc. have made my life much easier on the home front. There are a great number of people at the Barr report who have gone out of their way to help me and this hobby. I try to give back - it helps when people have got your back.

Yes, they are great. I read lots and lots of posts written by Biollante and Philosophos and others . Great site with great people.

Lol, my wife doesn't even know that I paid $26.00 for 1/2 pound of "Sprint Fe 138 (6% Fe-EDDHA)".
http://www.bes-tex.com/products.php?kei=8

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
Tug;46255 said:
That's how I got started. For the first few months all I would hear is, "I don't remember it being this complicated back in the day." Of course she didn't have plants and knew enough to keep up with her water changes. Finally, she appreciates what I do, as long as I don't talk about the technical stuff. Then she looks at me like I'm crazy. I need to find a club that is metro accessible. I like to think I know what I'm doing, but Biollante and Philosophos, etc. have made my life much easier on the home front. There are a great number of people at the Barr report who have gone out of their way to help me and this hobby. I try to give back - it helps when people have got your back.

I have to give her credit..............she loves working with plants and flowers. She grew up on a mini-farm in Europe and I grew up in a big city in Europe.

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
Philosophos;46210 said:
Hi Barbarossa,

Biollante's advice will land you about 32ppm of Ca dosed in your 30 gal. The MgSO4 will end up being about 7.3ppm dosed; also good.

If you want to mix solutions ahead of time so that you don't have to premix every time you dose, 110.8g of CaCl2 in a 1L solution with deionized water will work; dose 1ml for every 6L 3x a week. For MgSO4, use the same method as CaCl2, but use 91.3g of MgSO4.7H2O. These two solutions will add 20mg/L Ca to the column and 5mg/L Mg per week.

Liquid dosing saves on excess fert consumption from rounding, as well as providing both greater accuracy and convenience.

Hi,

I just used Chuck's calculator (playing around) and the MgSo4 solution you suggested will add 0.05ppm of Magnesium for each ml of solution I add to the tank water. So, if I add 10ml for 50g actual water, I will add 0.5ppm of Mg. This will give me 1.5ppm/week if I dose 3 times/week. I am confused b/c the recommended levels of Mg are 5 to 10 ppm. Can you please help me clarify this. I would like to add 30ppm of ca and 7 ppm of mg per week for a 55g and a 30g. I know you like to use stock solutions instead of dry.:) Thank you.

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
My calculations there were a little off because of a typo in the atomic weight I had listed for MgSO4.7H2O in my dosing estimation spreadsheet, but what Chuck's calculator is showing is different from that for different reasons. This is why I don't trust calculators, and when I do they're my own so that I only have myself to blame.

Here's the math:

First start with the atomic mass of MgSO4.7H2O, and divide by that of Mg:
=(246.47/24.3050)

Multiply by the number of ppms you want to establish in your tank per week:
=(246.47/24.3050*5)

Divide by the number of ml/L you'll be dosing:
=(246.47/24.3050*5)/0.5

Multiply by 1000 so that 1ml of solution alters 1L by the required amount:
=(246.47/24.3050*5)/0.5*1000

This yeilds 101407.12mg, or 101.4g

Now, if you enter a column of 2L on Chuck's calculator (1ml for every 2L per week, same as 1ml for every 6L 3x a week) with this solution, you'll get an answer that reflects this math. If you crank it up to 50 gal, then divide that quantity in L (about 189L) by two and multiply by the mg/L to simulate dosing, you'll get a number that's off by a bit; about 4.7ppm rather than 5. I believe this is because Chuck's spreadsheet is rounding heavily. There's also a point where when you enter the column as 2L that it pops up as 5.02mg/wk where it should be 5 or less, and I can't figure out why. I also happen to like my own calculators/calculations because I can actually look at the math behind the output value.

I'm not sure where you're getting 10ml in 50 gal from as a dose. It would be about 1/3 of what I'd recommend as a dose for that volume.

C

csmith

Philosophos;48219 said:
Here's the math:

First start with the atomic mass of MgSO4.7H2O, and divide by that of Mg:
=(246.47/24.3050)

Multiply by the number of ppms you want to establish in your tank per week:
=(246.47/24.3050*5)

Divide by the number of ml/L you'll be dosing:
=(246.47/24.3050*5)/0.5

Multiply by 1000 so that 1ml of solution alters 1L by the required amount:
=(246.47/24.3050*5)/0.5*1000

This yeilds 101407.12mg, or 101.4g

It's not multiply?
I've got (atomic mass of compound/mass of desired nutrient* desired ppm)*X mL dosed for each 1 L water column*1000.

Maybe I wrote it down wrong.

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
Philosophos;48219 said:
I'm not sure where you're getting 10ml in 50 gal from as a dose. It would be about 1/3 of what I'd recommend as a dose for that volume.

From post #23:

Originally Posted by barbarossa4122
This means I have to add 31.5ml 3 times a week of both solutions for my 55g and 18.9ml for my 30g ? Just want to make sure I get this right.

It's OK, I'll just dose it dry.

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
I must've divided it by 3 an extra time as I usually give my dosing as per week, not per day (which is how I wrote it before); 31.5 would be right. Sorry, I've been off on stupid numbers with this thread.

If you're dosing dry then why are you PMing me for stock solution concentrations? ;)

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
Philosophos;48223 said:
I must've divided it by 3 an extra time as I usually give my dosing as per week, not per day (which is how I wrote it before); 31.5 would be right. Sorry, I've been off on stupid numbers with this thread.

If you're dosing dry then why are you PMing me for stock solution concentrations? ;)

Hi,

I am not dosing it dry right now but, I will if I can't figure this out. Sorry to bother you Philosophos. I pmed you thinking you might like to help and you did. :) Thanks.

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
OK Philosophos, with your big help and the Fertilator, I did figure out how much to dose the stock solutions. Thank you for your pm and help:)

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
Not a problem. Sorry about the typos and such; I think I'm having an off week.

Fertilator is a nice double check if you're working from grams on NPK related stuff. I've been hit and miss with it on some of the other nutrients.

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
Philosophos;48233 said:
Not a problem. Sorry about the typos and such; I think I'm having an off week.

Fertilator is a nice double check if you're working from grams on NPK related stuff. I've been hit and miss with it on some of the other nutrients.

Cool:) It came out alright in the end. Thanks.