This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

My Tap water parameters

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by Tiago Nicolau, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Tiago Nicolau

Tiago Nicolau Member

Local Time:
    2:13 AM
    Hi all, im trying to figure how my water has a pH of 8 when it comes from a vulcanic bed spring,

I live on Azores so we have no Limestone, vulcanic rocks are the ones we have so the springs are acidic and tasty water,

For some reason the water that comes from my tap, is with 8 pH and kH, and only 1-2 gH, the least one was expected,

I contacted the water company, and they told me they add

NaCLO
    Al2(SO4)3

My kH stays 8 even after areating and resting for a few days,
    the taste of this water is blunt, just like someone added a little salt to it, compared to a spring water,
    I use a filter jarr, the Brita filter jarrs with active carbon and resins, that lower the kH to 4 but it goes to 6 after some days again,
    Does the Na up the kH?

My understanding is that when chlorine dissipates it leaves Na behind,
    how can we know that the amount of Na present is harmful for fauna and flora? what are the signs?

I have a small 15litter tank on wich i have RCS, or at least i had 6, now only 1,
    They died one after the other,
    The water company said the water has 0,024mg/l of Cu,

Could the shrimps have died due to toxicity, or does the Na present on water has a bad health effect on freshwater fauna?

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Chlorine basically and then some Alum sulfate(Alum) for clarifying sediment and floc from the water. The water is very high grade.
    The pH coming out of the tap does not matter. Do not concern yourself with that, the GH and the KH are the only things what matter. Your tap water is similar to mine except for the KH.
    Na+ does not contribute to KH.

Your tap water has some carbonates in the water.

RCS are like roaches, very very hard to kill.

It's not due to the tap water.

3. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Chlorine basically and then some Alum sulfate(Alum) for clarifying sediment and floc from the water. The water is very high grade.
    The pH coming out of the tap does not matter. Do not concern yourself with that, the GH and the KH are the only things what matter. Your tap water is similar to mine except for the KH.
    Na+ does not contribute to KH.

Your tap water has some carbonates in the water.

RCS are like roaches, very very hard to kill.

It's not due to the tap water.

4. Tiago Nicolau

Tiago Nicolau Member

Local Time:
    I have read so much about you that i feel honored to have a response from ya :D

Well, seems im a master at killing roaches then, 5 of 6 RCS died, 2 of them were with me for 2 months,
    the 5 that died, i gues 4 of them were juvenile, all males i think,

Any reason for the high carbonate present on my water, if i have a soft water spring? or is it independent of a soft spring, but more about what is in that spring?

About the issue with Na, for it to be harmful for freshwater fauna and flora, is there any way of noticing it? or if its safe for us to drink, is it safe for them?

I have learned enough for the pH to be the least of my concerns, it ony reflects the high kH, but a new think came to my mind,
    kH tests dont measure carbonates, but measure the overall alkalinity elements, so if i had high posphates on water, would it contribute for the 8 dkH?

I know there are 1001 ways to kill shrimp, but what do you think the reasons could be for the ones that died?

I did 50% WC with matching temperatures, treated with Prime,

But in that period, the last 2 and the 1st shrimps i had died after i did the WC with rested water with about 2-3 weeks old, primed on the begining,
    after some search, i saw that Prime only binds with heavy metals for 1-2 days tops, and together with the fact the water smelled funny when i placed it on the bucket to change, may it be enough to kill them?

Today, only the female, adult, is alive, i cant say if she is alright, she eats, swimgs sometimes, goes up and down, seems agitaded when airpump is on, dunno if its normal behaviour, the other shrimps were active and eating when they died :/

5. UDGags

UDGags Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Any carbonate based rocks in the tanks? e.g. Seiryu stones

6. Tiago Nicolau

Tiago Nicolau Member

Local Time:
    nah, the water comes out of the faucet like that parameters, on my tanks they dont get up, only have vulcanic based rocks :)

7. UDGags

UDGags Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:

Ahh okay, I misunderstood.

- - - Updated - - -

Ahh okay, I misunderstood.

8. Tiago Nicolau

Tiago Nicolau Member

Local Time:
    Well, the 15lt tank i have, using tap water filtered with AC jarr is with a pH of 8 again, kH must have rise on 3 days after WC,
    Im puzzled on why,
    I could try to boil the water but well, spending gas on something like this...
    Does that even work, boiling water to break down kH?

9. wildgreenyonder

wildgreenyonder Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I doubt it.The water which evaporates through boiling becomes distilled water ,if you were to collect it.The water which remains in the pot ,would be even more concentrated ,now containing the stuff left behind by the evaporated water.