This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

my tank became muddy ...greenwater?

Discussion in 'Talk to Tom Barr' started by a-hua, Oct 18, 2007.

1. a-hua

a-hua Subscriber

Local Time:
    9:35 AM
    my tank became muddy for 3 weeks.
    sometimes it was a little clear (maybe when the light start),
    and sometimes was muddier (before the light close,).
    is it greenwater ? i think they are something different...
    how can i get rid of it?

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/2655/ahuavm8.jpg

ps. there are green dust algae, blue green algae, and diatom in my tank.

a-hua

2. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    It looks like green water. What is the tank size, lighting, fertilizing method, CO2? Those are major clues as to what is the problem.

3. a-hua

a-hua Subscriber

Local Time:
    My Tank...
    60*35*65 Cm
    Pl36w*1+fl20w*1
    1/5 Kno3+1/10 Kh2so4 Everyday
    1 Bubble/sec ...co2

I Am Sure It Is Greenwater Because It Become All Green Now..haha(but It Take More Time Than Before To Become Green)

I Got A Uv-c Light(15w, 500 L/hr Powerhead) And Used One Day ...anything Should I Notice?

4. evandro.carrenho

Local Time:
    3:35 AM
    I had a similar issue and needed 3 days of an 8w UV turned on. After that I performed a water changed of about 70%.

I believe that the green water started because of mistakes in my maintenance routine. Once I have some matter returned from the filter piping to the water column, that triggered first a opaque appearence in the water, and after a few days it turned green. I tried several methods, like blackout and frequent water changes, but they (or me) were all cumbersome.

UV was the way to solve it. I had some other events of green water but that was all related to the maintenance routines (turned UV on again).

I scrap my glass before removing water from the tank, and siphon water after having it clean. This brings out all the dirty removed form the glass. I also avoid disturbing the substrate too much, espeacially when removing dead plants. In the past I used to uproot them, now I just cut them near the substrate and leave the roots there to rotten, they serve as food for other plants.

I always noticed that plants suffer when UV is turned on for a long period. Speacially of chlorosis (white leaves). This seems to be due to lack of iron... I always get zero reading of iron when UV is turned on.

Regards,
    Evandro